3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

This is TJ and one of his Josies just a couple of days ago. I hatched 3 pullets (all named Josie) and a cockerel, named TJ. (Duh.) All four will be a year old on New Year's Day 2012, as they were part of the Second Annual Mahonri's New Year's Day Hatch. Those Josies are awesome layers! TJ is a gentleman rooster, too.

41679_josiejumping4cabbage.jpg

he is a nice looking rooster. by gentleman to do you mean with the ladies? or in general. i would love a roo who doesnt make a fuss all day long and get the neighbors mad enough to turn me in. i can have one rooster where i am but he has to be respectful with his crowing. i'm glad to hear that the tj hens are good layers, thats what i'm most interested in at the moment. well, actually i'm most interested in fluffy baby chicks but after a while i want them to give me breakfast.

Quote:
He calls the ladies to good treats and lets them eat first. He is well past the "gotta jump everything" stage; he mounts hens but doesn't brutalize them. He is respectful around me, and has NEVER challenged me.

He is, however, a loud crower. And often. Not as often as a couple other roosters in my flock, but he will get into crowfests now and then.

wee.gif
It is so cool that you posted pics of the resulting birds from your last year NYD Hatch! It reminds me that just 8 months ago I got my very first chicks! Time goes so fast and I am truly happy raising chickens! I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH HERE AT BYC!!!!
ep.gif

Linda they sure turned out to be pretty birds.

I sold the ones I hatched, but I'm thinking since I started with so many eggs last year and got zip, I may have to hit up good ole TJ's again this year. Maybe I'll keep a few if I can get some pullets to hatch.
lau.gif
Yeah that's gonna happen. I have way too many roos because that's all I seem to hatch out. Now I need pullets to go with the roosters I have.

Breaking my heart right now, but if I can find nice homes for some of my guys, I think I may rehome some of them. I get so close to my roos though! They are friendlier than almost all of the hens. I also have some pullets that are going through the "Don't touch or look at me" stage. The roos though are fun. I have so many of them though that some don't even have names and I had all the roos named and several hens, but the roos were easier to name. I do need a couple of new roos too, so I just know after the first of the year, I'm going to be hatching like crazy.

Speaking of hatching, I just put 9 EE eggs into lockdown. Wish me luck. I'm hatching in the Sportsman and trying something new. Only thing I can hatch in there these days is quail, so I sure hope these make it. My EE Big Bird is the only one laying these days. She's got tattered feathers and moulting so slowly, but hasn't stopped laying like everyone else.

I'm in. I cleared out my storage building this weekend, in preparation for setting up my bater in the building and raising my forty chicks there for the first six weeks.

Quote:
See, now these silkies have good coloring. I am not a silkie fan because most of the ones I've seen look so washed out as far as coloring. Nice birds Beth. IMO (in my opinion)

Quote:
See, now these silkies have good coloring. I am not a silkie fan because most of the ones I've seen look so washed out as far as coloring. Nice birds Beth. IMO (in my opinion)

I have 5 juvis growing out. From another person. With the same coloring.... I will get pics. The are not perfect but sure are pretty and sweet. I just put 3 eggs under a broody from her and waiting to candle. I have been saving her eggs. She lays everyday
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom