3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

I have around 58 left in mine.. I didnt candle the Marans, they are too dark, so I candled the EE and Icelandics.... so I took out 8 that I candled as bad... of those 8, four were still alive after I cracked them open!!!!!!! NOOOOO!!!! &*(^*%^!
Apparently my DW and I arent that great at candling. the rest are safe and back to 99.9 and 38%.
26 Marans are unknown but the Icelandics and EE are rocking and rolling!!! woot woot!

And broody Icelandic Mamma is now safe in my living room in a tote still on her 11 eggs.
big_smile.png

-Boston

Quote:
D.gif
Yay Mamma!!
D.gif
I didn't candle my first bunch of eggs until lockdown. I wasn't sure what to look for early but knew by day 17/18 I would be able to tell if there was anything growing. I got a bit more brave the second time but alway erred on the side of caution and left anything questionable....as long as it wasn't weepy or stinky I figured it would hurt anything!!

The only concern I have with not candling my eggs is that the bad ones may burst. How likely is that? When I candle my eggs, I end up making errors and tossing out good eggs.

The risk of pulling perfectly good eggs is precisely the reason that I don't pull eggs unless they stink or weep, except for the occasional sever space crunch.

Schumanw, you aren't at risk if you do a daily sniff test and look for glistening droplets on the outside of the eggs. You'll be able to smell them before they get to bursting pressure.

Quote:
clap.gif
Yep thats me too! When eggs are past their "time" my son gets to throw them in the river (we see who can through the farthest) & when they hit the water they explode
Does that make us weird
hide.gif

Quote:
D.gif
Yay Mamma!!
D.gif

X2
wee.gif

Quote:
Same here. Each hatch I learned more and more about what to look for but I NEVER remove anything that I'm not 100% sure is dead. If I have any question at all I leave it. More than once I have marked them with a question mark and had them hatch. So when in doubt, don't throw out!

AND WE HAVE A WINNER FOR THE CAPTION THAT PHOTO CONTEST.

Before I announce it, I'd like to say that there was some stiff competition this time around. You guys were absolutely up to the challenge of making me laugh. In fact, I still chuckle at some of them and I've seen them multiple times.

Sadly, there can be only one winner. The votes are in and the winner is:

46869_featherz.jpg

By Featherz!

Featherz, congratulations and please contact Hot2Pot when you are interested in receiving your dozen eggs.

Back
Top Bottom