3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
I like the pics in the Brinsea. A different type of hatch to watch when they hatch upright and pointy end down!

That's why I added to yours
smile.png
Different perspective.

These ducks I have are so energetic. They are literally running in a herd from one end of the brooder to the other, directly through the water. I'm not sure if they're part "runner" duck or not, but they are incredibly energetic and cute.

Glad to hear they are so energetic. a word to the wise, though. Put the water in the corner so they don't run through it or you'll have a huge mess on your hands.
lol.png

I know from experience!

Hey guys, I just came up with a duck brooder bottom idea!

What about spraying it with a good layer of bed liner, like for truck beds. This would make it more waterproof and save the wood.

I was thinking about polyurethaning it, but there was no time. The brooder was barely done in time to be ruined by the ducks. However, boyfriend just told me he feels he could have improved on this one a bit, using thicker plywood and all, and will be making brooder 3.0 soon.

big_smile.png

Wow... what a day. 12 patients from 7 to 1, then shopping till 5 and then honey-do's until 7... just getting caught up.

I'd be sleeping in tomorrow but I'm selling a couple of my Easter Hatch EEs. Just as well, I've got to go to the feed store for more poultry dust.

Is there any hope? I bought eggs on a BYC auction and they were shipped out on the 14th. Due to a PO error, the eggs were sent from So CA up to Portland OR, and then to a Portland PO rather than coming here to Medford. The eggs finally showed up and when I unwrapped them, it appears they were shipped upside down (pointy end up). So, the eggs were trucked up and down the coast and left for days at a time in the PO facilities. It took 7 days to actually get them and they have likely been sitting upside down.

Stick them in the bator anyway?
sickbyc.gif
hu.gif

Wow !! Thems alot of posts to get caught up on!

I just got 45 Ringneck Pheasant, 40 Chukar, 18 Buff Orps. I put 14 eggs from RevMama (in lockdwn yesterday) Due to hatch tomorrow, and my VERY good Hatcher Friend came over & candled them ~ & the 1st 3 were BAD, and the next one EXPLODED on her face, sweater, & in her hair!!!
sickbyc.gif

I felt so bad & all my family came running to WHATS THAT SMELL !!! We all started laughing our arses off (at the expense of my friend)
lau.gif
gig.gif

I know sooooo not funny! We candled the rest and were all duds. She wouldn't touch them, I had to hand and them to her ! I was wanted goggles & protective mask!

So One whole bad batch!
th.gif

She then candled my Whole bator (Looking for any volcanoes) She found a Goose that was about to blow, & a couple more turkeys, and some clear ones. So I only had to pitch 3 of my 15 goose ~ All the rest she said looks great. & My Turkeys are looking GOOD
thumbsup.gif
& only tossed 5. She has been doing this for years & was nice of her to come out & help out my hatch & my families sanity ~ I don't think I could have handled another BLOW UP ! OM Goodness WAS SOOOOOOO FOWL FOWL FOWL !!!! And a GOOSE
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Actually, that may work to your benefit! Here is one article on the subject. There are others, but I am too lazy to look them up....

http://www.pasreform.com/academy/fr...atching-eggs/16-storage-of-hatching-eggs.html
Store eggs small end up, starting on the first day of storage, if hatchery planning dictates that eggs must be stored more than 10 days. Alternatively, if eggs are stored on setter trays (blunt ends up), turn them 90° once daily.​

Bout the raising ducks in the tub ~ I have'nt taken a shower in years !! We have a beautiful huge clawfoot tub, and thats all we have had for the past 6 years! I think if I took over the tub it would become quite stinky REALLY FAST !!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom