3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

I'd like to introduce you to the first 7 of my 9 chicks. 8 are from who knows (although 1 has puffy cheeks so I'm guessing my Black Ameraucana is the Daddy. ) My 9th chick out is a Wellie covered by ? The 2 in the incubator are a yellow mutt and a Black Wellie cross.
frow.gif

Woops, forgot the pic
92928_020nyd20mutt.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
With mom a cuckoo and dads are not a barred breed - you have sex linked chicks. All solid black chicks from this combo will be girls and all boys will have the barring spot. This only works when the mom is a barred breed and the dad is not.

Well Shut my mouth!

I've got pips!!!!
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
Two are in my eggs, and one is in a lovely blue egg from BHep!!
woot.gif

and while, I totally love my brinsea... keeping the humidity up during lockdown is such a bear! Next hatch I'm gonna set up a hatching box. Last night my humidity was in the high 50's, now it is in the mid 40's. Not good. (and yes, I did just put some water in it)

Quote:
I would love to try emu eggs. Good luck, Sheriff, that has to take a lot of patience. I have an emu that was given to me along with 2 llamas and a 1/2 zebra. Strange mix but they've been together all their lives. I contacted someone in No CA with emu eggs for sale but didn't get a response. Cool birds. JJ intimidated me at first but we have come to an agreement and I really like him.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80048_612.jpg

JJ is beautiful! We just love our boys. They are the loviest, huggiest things in the world. Since we raised them from Day 1, they are very comfortable around people and love attention. I am so hoping for at least one to hatch and for it to be a girl! I will send the shell membranne in for DNA sexing so I will know in 24 hours. Now I just have to wait patiently for 10 days to 2 weeks. Yikes.

Okay, I run to look in the incubator about every ten minutes. I'm getting ready to fix breakfast...................and now I feel like I'm getting ready to cook their unborn brothers and sisters......................
idunno.gif

I don't think my husband understands my sense of humor!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom