3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
Ok, so we opened it up and it's out and seemingly fine, except that it hasn't opened it's eyes. I think I can even see the eyes moving behind the membrane there. It's chirping, and moving around a bit. I put it back in the bator to dry and rest up. I don't think I've ever seen one not open it's eyes almost immediately. Any theories?

Sounds like it just needs to catch up to itself. Just let it rest and keep the lights low. Most likely when its brain realizes it has hatched, the ON switch will flip.

Ack! I'm torn... I want to read and see how ya'all are doing and I want to show off my new cuties!

Peepers win
lol.png

I have 6 in the brooder, 1 more that leaped out of her shell while I was collecting shell fragments from the bator, a nearly complete zip and a pretty substantial pip, and I think 5 more that are just pipped.

How many is that
hu.gif
I think I might have more listed her than I actually have in the bator
th.gif
Anyone got a 1st grader I can borrow? My counting skills are not so good today
roll.png

25270_1-1-2012_1.jpg

25270_1-1-2012_2.jpg

Anybody setting eggs today?

I was just telling Laree that I was thinking of setting some turkeys to go with the silkie eggs she is sending me and viola! One of the turkeys delivered, as if in cue, one perfect turkey egg just begging to be incubated.

So, I'm thinking if I slip it in the bator during one of the chick snatching openings, it could start perking while I wait for the mailman to bring me those silkies. Then I could have them all hatch close to the same time. Won't that be cute
big_smile.png

Maybe I should get a second bator?

Hmmm, who had bator failures and what kind of bator was it?

I set some on the 28th or 29th. I think I will have my bator on for a while.
roll.png
I have some birds that I want chicks from and they just started laying. So far all clears, but the days are getting longer so I can hope and keep shoving eggs in. Hmmmmm, may have to buy some eggs too, since I wouldn't want any that hatch to be lonely.
th.gif

Quote:
Thanks. Yes emu prefer space to run and play. People do keep them penned but not me. I like things running wild and free. well, as long as they stay on their home territory. My emus made a couple of uninvited visits to my neighbor's house.

I helped the BCMx out and it was a good thing because she was really stuck. Completely done, no blood and egg fully absorbed, but her neck seems to be twisted and stuck to body. Really sticky stuff on her. I put her back in bator in wet paper towel about 10 minutes ago, but she still seems to be stuck to herself. Do I try washing her or just give it time? No wonder she was complaining.
sad.png

Quote:
You should get all the incubators you want....All of them..... Need more silkies,,,,,got some on auction..... Now tell me about your turkeys, we don't have eggs yet, but soon - usually February....Dog, I'm jealous...LOL....Scuse me i just finished a tray of cookies and I'm a bit a little goofy - blame that chocolate!!!!!......

I'm getting some eggs together today, don't know what yet,,,,,but i'm working on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.png
And don't forget if you need eggs, we have them!

Back
Top Bottom