3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
I feel that way about my girls. They worked hard for their living so they get to stay long after they stop laying. The boys... I used to think I couldn't do it either, except ... yeah, they're not nice, polite or endearing and you don't need the number you hatch out. I feel only a slight sadness when they go to the block. I am ok with it because they were raised to know love, food, exercise and freedom. I will not eat any other meat besides what I raise and kill. I feel good knowing the roosters had it good until the end, and were treated humanely until the end.

We really need an icon that gets off the soapbox. I'd insert it here.

Quote:
I feel that way about my girls. They worked hard for their living so they get to stay long after they stop laying. The boys... I used to think I couldn't do it either, except ... yeah, they're not nice, polite or endearing and you don't need the number you hatch out. I feel only a slight sadness when they go to the block. I am ok with it because they were raised to know love, food, exercise and freedom. I will not eat any other meat besides what I raise and kill. I feel good knowing the roosters had it good until the end, and were treated humanely until the end.

X2 The first chicken I had to cull was a chick I hatched due to extreme crossbeak. Poor thing was not able to eat and I tried everything I could think of to remedy the situation enough so that the chick could eat. I even drove an hour for a specific ointment that was suggested in another thread but unfortunately it didn't work. It was very hard to do it but I could not let it suffer. I also never thought I would be able to process a chicken that I had raised but when you have eight roosters and only 15 hens, you have to do something. Personally, I would rather eat them myself than give them away to someone who is going to do the same thing. They are very yummy BTW but I also understand why other people could not do it. If you like hatching, you are going to have to figure out what you are going to do with the extra roos.
OK off MY soapbox now
wink.png

Quote:

X2 The first chicken I had to cull was a chick I hatched due to extreme crossbeak. Poor thing was not able to eat and I tried everything I could think of to remedy the situation enough so that the chick could eat. I even drove an hour for a specific ointment that was suggested in another thread but unfortunately it didn't work. It was very hard to do it but I could not let it suffer. I also never thought I would be able to process a chicken that I had raised but when you have eight roosters and only 15 hens, you have to do something. Personally, I would rather eat them myself than give them away to someone who is going to do the same thing. They are very yummy BTW but I also understand why other people could not do it. If you like hatching, you are going to have to figure out what you are going to do with the extra roos.
OK off MY soapbox now
wink.png

Well, I did our first 3 roosters and, I just decided I didn't want to do it. I have 3 options, try to rehome them, sell them to my neighbor to butcher, or take them to the local auction. I choose the first 2. I try to rehome them, but if I can't I sell them to my neighbor. I worry about taking roosters to the auction, especially nice big boys.

Quote:
Silvio loves the chickies! I had a heck of a time keeping him out of the set while I took calendar photos
roll.png

53430_dscn7975.jpg
He only left when the chick on the right tried to burrow underneath his belly.

Fennario likes them too, but he's actually scared of them
gig.gif

53430_dscn7964.jpg

Quote:
All partied out!
lau.gif
Great pics and sweet chickies!

X2

Quote:
Silvio loves the chickies! I had a heck of a time keeping him out of the set while I took calendar photos
roll.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53430_dscn7975.jpg He only left when the chick on the right tried to burrow underneath his belly.

gig.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53430_dscn7964.jpg

Love the pics with the cats.....If it were my cats, those chicks would have been mcnuggets in a hearteat.

Quote:
All partied out!
lau.gif
Great pics and sweet chickies!

X2

Quote:
roll.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53430_dscn7975.jpg He only left when the chick on the right tried to burrow underneath his belly.

gig.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53430_dscn7964.jpg

Love the pics with the cats.....If it were my cats, those chicks would have been mcnuggets in a hearteat.

lol that's funny i don't know how u could train a cat not to eat a bitd its like there naturel instinct

Here are the links to the pages for both the Small Batch Hatchrate Contest and Cutest Chick Hatched Photo Contest. If you would like to enter either hatch or if i didn't get your entry in there let me know either by PM or by posting your entry in the thread.

Cutest Chick Hatched Contest Entries

I am amazed by how few pictures there are so far in this contest. Keep them coming and remember you have until the 10th to enter!

small Batch Hatchrate Contest Entries

Be sure to enter if you haven't already. Entries must be submitted by the end of tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom