3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
Sounds like good rules.
tongue.png
I don't do 'house' chickens, so he'd have to be able to play well with others, but right now he's acting like a normal chick, just messed up.
tongue.png
No loud 'it hurts' peeping, etc. I guess I'll wait and see. Hopefully will become apparent if he'll do OK before he gets too big.
smile.png

those are the same rules I use.. right now I have a quail chick with a twisted leg (he can't right himself because of it so won't be able to eat or drink). If he doesn't stabilize by this afternoon or evening or show any progress then I'll cull him. I also have three other "weak" chicks which I think will be culled as well. They aren't eating and with quail they can't go as long as chickens without food or water. To me it's better to cull the REALLY weak quail chicks since if they won't eat on their own they will starve to death rather quickly. I know that sounds cruel to some.. but I would rather cull one now when they are tiny than to have to force feed them only to watch them fail to thrive anyway.

schumanw.. It is ChooksChick's cheat sheet....see her post on page 422. post # 4213

Quote:
Bill, read the incubation sheet in my signature. It's just my opinions and experience, but perhaps something in it will help you understand your situation better. I have significantly better luck with no water added until confinement.

That being said, there are always things that happen, and I hatched 4 chicks of ~34 eggs this time...when I generally get a 90% or better rate.

Practice helps, though, and never pitch eggs without ascertaining demise GENTLY.

Last edited:
Hey BHep,
Thanks for all the information and support. I realize now that ChooksChick is the one that put the incubation sheet sheet under her signature.
Thank you both. I found the sheet. It is terrific!

I'm looking for advice here. One of our chicks isn't opening it's right eye, I thought someone posted about cleaning an eye out, but I can't find the post. Am I just using water and a q-tip? Poor thing is not acting like his normal chicly self, he's the one the kids named 'Jumpy' and he most certainly is not right now.

And now for some dentist humor: What's a dentist's favorite time?....... 2:30

Get it? I GET it. It's been 2:30 here for DAYS.
hit.gif

Quote:
I used warm water on a towel and worked the eye open. It kept sticking so I then used Neosporin (polymixin, bacitracin, neomycin) to coat the eyelid, being careful not to get any IN the eye (it's not formulated for ophthalmic purposes). You can purchase some real antibiotic eye ointment at TSC or feed stores if necessary (if it continues to crust up). As soon as the lids came open on my chick it started acting crazy again. I did put sugar in the water and I do hot water in a bit of their (22% protein) food placed on a plate. They really enjoy that and it gets them eating. You could also try a scrambled egg to perk them up.

The Cutest chick contest is still open for pictures!!! Either Pm the picture to me or post it here in the thread. Please be sure to specify that it is an entry if you have posted it on the thread. Entries are accepted until january 10th, so keep them coming!

Cutest Chick Contest Entries Here!

The cutest Chick Contest is open for entries until Jan. 10th. To submit an entry either post it in the thread or PM it to me.

View submissions Here: Cutest Chick Contest!

Here is a list of the Current Small Batch Hatchrate Entries. If you are not here and would like to be before I announce the winners tomorrow, then please let me know and PM a photo of the all your chicks.

Small Batch Hatchrate Contest!

Back
Top Bottom