3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
So cute and wow, both white/light colored ones hatched and 95% of everything I hatch is black.
gig.gif

If your NN one doesn't have more of the silkie-like characteristics, it's probably my showgirl male x my blue splash bantam wyandotte that keeps getting out of her pen and hanging with one particular showgirl male. She's in love with him.

Looks like you had a pretty good hatch rate with shipped eggs. Hopefully I'll figure out how to hatch a shipped egg.

Quote:
Click HERE and fill in your answers.

Quote:
So cute and wow, both white/light colored ones hatched and 95% of everything I hatch is black.
gig.gif

If your NN one doesn't have more of the silkie-like characteristics, it's probably my showgirl male x my blue splash bantam wyandotte that keeps getting out of her pen and hanging with one particular showgirl male. She's in love with him.

Looks like you had a pretty good hatch rate with shipped eggs. Hopefully I'll figure out how to hatch a shipped egg.

She have a blueish stripe on her back, oh, I bet that she will look just gorgeous when fully grown.
pop.gif

Quote:
gig.gif

She have a blueish stripe on her back, oh, I bet that she will look just gorgeous when fully grown.
pop.gif

It's just gorgeous. I love the NN mixes.
In the pic it looks like she has light-colored skin. If her skin's not black, then it's most likely a wyandotte X showgirl baby. None of my babies out of that mix have black skin because that male showgirl has light-colored skin too. And, FYI, all my pairings like that have made black babies with light skin....and you get a light one. LOL I'd love to see what it looks like in a month or so.

Last edited:
Quote:
pop.gif

It's just gorgeous. I love the NN mixes.
In the pic it looks like she has light-colored skin. If her skin's not black, then it's most likely a wyandotte X showgirl baby. None of my babies out of that mix have black skin because that male showgirl has light-colored skin too. And, FYI, all my pairings like that have made black babies with light skin....and you get a light one. LOL I'd love to see what it looks like in a month or so.

I will post an update in a month. According to my sexing method, the showgirl is a pullet, and the pure silkie is a cockerel. I hope that I am right!
fl.gif

Quote:
I also think that the low hatch rates may be more of what I was experiencing: immature fellows. I have a bunch of pairings that are dudes waaaaaaay too unsure of themselves with older ladies. It proved to be tragically ineffective when the time came to candle. Not many fertiles. Then there was the incubator failure...and the cursed hatch struck nearly all of us this time! Perhaps it was God's way of saving many marriages in short order?!?

That last part had me laughing!!!!

This is all very interesting about the humidity. Thank you both and Bhep (I think it was) who replied earlier. I am definitely going to try dry hatching next time or 2, or maybe as a test,with half the eggs of the next couple of batches. (it seems that SOMEHOW I have ordered a few more batches of eggs, heh heh--this is SO much fun!!!) I am going to have to scour the net to see if I find any mention of the lowering of temp the last 3 days. I do have a batch of bantam ameraucanas from LittleAmeraucanaMom hatching now, and I followed the lowering temp for last 3 days directions and have it at 99.5 or so...this is the Still Air one. Before lockdown, they were in a forced air RollX at 99.7 or so. These guys are hatching on day 19, and so far it looks great, 9 out of shells but more may be coming, out of 18 eggs. Chookschick, I erased too much of my lengthy quote above and by mistake erased your part about temp so I can't see it as I write this. I need to go back and look, but do you use 99.5 to 100 regardless of whether your incubator is still or forced air? Are most dead in shells chicks from too high humidity, or were you able to tell that when you inspected them? I suppose I should read up on how to diagnose incubation problems by inspecting the unhatched dead but developed chicks.

Quote:
I also think that the low hatch rates may be more of what I was experiencing: immature fellows. I have a bunch of pairings that are dudes waaaaaaay too unsure of themselves with older ladies. It proved to be tragically ineffective when the time came to candle. Not many fertiles. Then there was the incubator failure...and the cursed hatch struck nearly all of us this time! Perhaps it was God's way of saving many marriages in short order?!?

That last part had me laughing!!!!

This is all very interesting about the humidity. Thank you both and Bhep (I think it was) who replied earlier. I am definitely going to try dry hatching next time or 2, or maybe as a test,with half the eggs of the next couple of batches. (it seems that SOMEHOW I have ordered a few more batches of eggs, heh heh--this is SO much fun!!!) I am going to have to scour the net to see if I find any mention of the lowering of temp the last 3 days. I do have a batch of bantam ameraucanas from LittleAmeraucanaMom hatching now, and I followed the lowering temp for last 3 days directions and have it at 99.5 or so...this is the Still Air one. Before lockdown, they were in a forced air RollX at 99.7 or so. These guys are hatching on day 19, and so far it looks great, 9 out of shells but more may be coming, out of 18 eggs. Chookschick, I erased too much of my lengthy quote above and by mistake erased your part about temp so I can't see it as I write this. I need to go back and look, but do you use 99.5 to 100 regardless of whether your incubator is still or forced air? Are most dead in shells chicks from too high humidity, or were you able to tell that when you inspected them? I suppose I should read up on how to diagnose incubation problems by inspecting the unhatched dead but developed chicks.

I also started doing a dry hatch until lockdown, but I also have a little spray bottle to spray the eggs every other day, or when ever I remember, I haven't done a hatch without spraying, so IDK if it really makes a difference. Its also good if you need to rise the humidity during lockdown, or if you have a shrinkwraped chick.

I think the reason my hatch was so bad was because the power went out for a few hours around day 2-3. It killed most of the eggs, when I candled at day 10, most just have a small amout of veining, 2 made it to lockdown, but it looks like they dyed around day 17-18. This was my worst overall hatch (0/38). They were all shipped eggs. I've had a set of shipped eggs not hatch before, but I always had other eggs (mine or shipped) that hatched.

Well I now have 12 broodies! Silkie number 2 has decided to join her sister on the nest. My little Silkie roo is confused, I watched him dance at the doorway for the ladies but they aren't interested. Then he tried calling them out for a bug he caught. They ignored him. Poor guy, I think I'll move him in with some crossbred banties temporarily if I have any left that aren't broody.
lol.png

In NYD chick news, I have the chicks in the tote brooder with their EcoGlow still till I kick the older chicks outside. Tonight while I'm cooking I hear PEEP! PEEP! PEEP!!! chick distress cries. Race down there wondering what could be wrong and here is a chick, head down, legs flailing in the air, stuck between the tote side and EcoGlow leg.
ep.gif
Pulled it out and it's fine now but my they are good at finding ways to get into trouble!

Back
Top Bottom