3'X3' house with 3'x8' covered run for bantams?

Markp1964

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
Since I need to go small, I'm going to embrace the small and go with bantams.

A 3 x 3 house will have 9 square feet, with 20 square feet in the secure attahed run. This ought to be good for 5 bantam, right?

I maybe would go a little bigger, as for normal size hens a 10 x 10 is good for about 8 hens... congrats on the
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
That seems a quite small for 5 bantams to me, unless they'd be free ranging several hours daily as well. And if you're in an area that gets snow in winter time, 9 sq. ft. would cause problems with 5 birds, even if they were quite small.

Quote:
A 10x10 is 100 sq ft. I have read on here that 4 sq ft per bird is all one needs. So a 10x10 should be good for 25 birds right?
idunno.gif

Quote:
A 10x10 is 100 sq ft. I have read on here that 4 sq ft per bird is all one needs. So a 10x10 should be good for 25 birds right?
idunno.gif

For some reason I was thinking smokey meant in the run?? Anyhow, keep in mind that the 4 sq. ft. housing and 10 sq. ft. run space are minimums and generalizations. Birds in year round warm weather areas can get by with less housing space, but may want more run space. Cold winter places (decent snows) would benefit from MORE indoor space. You can never have too much space for your chickens, only too little space... Some give bantams half the space of LF birds, but many give them the same amount of space. Either way, that's a tight space (both housing and run) for 5 bantams.

Quote:
idunno.gif

For some reason I was thinking smokey meant in the run?? Anyhow, keep in mind that the 4 sq. ft. housing and 10 sq. ft. run space are minimums and generalizations. Birds in year round warm weather areas can get by with less housing space, but may want more run space. Cold winter places (decent snows) would benefit from MORE indoor space. You can never have too much space for your chickens, only too little space... Some give bantams half the space of LF birds, but many give them the same amount of space. Either way, that's a tight space (both housing and run) for 5 bantams.

I stay so confused. Like a chicken runin around with its head cut off.
wee.gif

Just to help out some...

Lets say your bantam's are 25% smaller then a normal size chicken of the same breed. If the normal size chicken needs 4 square feet, then you can remove 25% for a bantam. So, you need 3 feet per bird.

3 * 3 = 9 \\ 3 = 3. So, you'll need to go a bit bigger. I would do 3 * AMT of bantam's you have. So, you have 5. That would be 3 * 5, giving 15 square feet.

Back
Top Bottom