4 1/2 week old chick in need of help

Fecal test was negative.
Gave second tube feeding this morning. Even after feeding I don't feel her crop, only her protruding keel bone.
Wondering how long it will be to see if this makes a difference.

That is really weird.
Wonders of her crop is anatomically incorrect and buried inside her chest somewhere somehow.
She's 5.3ounces and will be 6 weeks old on Monday.
Yes, in the back of my mind I keep thinking, "Is there a tear in the crop? Is it somehow not connected?" I feed and then literally can't even find the crop. She's all keel bone with nothing on either side.

And should I keep feeding? Where is it going?

Last edited:
She's 5.3ounces and will be 6 weeks old on Monday.
Yes, in the back of my mind I keep thinking, "Is there a tear in the crop? Is it somehow not connected?" I feed and then literally can't even find the crop. She's all keel bone with nothing on either side.

And should I keep feeding? Where is it going?
I have no idea....is she pooping?
When the vet/relative showed you how to tube feed, was the crop filled?
Were they able to feel the filled crop, because as far as I know that's how you tell if the tubing was successful.

I woke up this morning to find Ruby dead.
This was a tough one. Never lost a chick before.
Thank you @casportpony who stayed up til 1am with me to guide me on tube feeding and overall guidance and education on what to do. I am now a better armed chickenkeeper! @Eggcessive thanks for your constant kindness, knowledge and emotional support.
And Lord knows what I would do without all of the collective knowledge and kindness here on BYC!
Thank you everyone who posted with support and ideas!

I wrapped Ruby in a towel and plastic bag and put her in the fridge. Will she keep for a necropsy at UNH on Monday? Or will I have to try it on my own.

I am so sorry that you lost her. You really tried so hard to save her. The state vet’s office may give you the answer about her necropsy Monday. It may depend on if you can take her or if you have to send her overnight. Just make sure that the body is kept cold, but doesn’t freeze.

I am so sorry that you lost her. You really tried so hard to save her. The state vet’s office may give you the answer about her necropsy Monday. It may depend on if you can take her or if you have to send her overnight. Just make sure that the body is kept cold, but doesn’t freeze.
Thanks, yes, I have her in the fridge and the UNH Vet Lab is in the next town over, and I already filled out the paperwork. Thanks again.

On an up note, I put my other 7 chicks out in the coop with my hens and my hens were set on ignoring them. The chicks seemed excited to be out in a bigger space and settled down to sleep in a pile without much ado.

Attachments

• PXL_20210605_192208461.jpg
    PXL_20210605_192208461.jpg
    872.7 KB · Views: 3
I have no idea....is she pooping?
When the vet/relative showed you how to tube feed, was the crop filled?
Were they able to feel the filled crop, because as far as I know that's how you tell if the tubing was successful.
The vet hadn't tube feed and when I did it I couldn't feel the crop afterwards at all. Really odd. Will know more after the necropsy.

I woke up this morning to find Ruby dead.
This was a tough one. Never lost a chick before.
Thank you @casportpony who stayed up til 1am with me to guide me on tube feeding and overall guidance and education on what to do. I am now a better armed chickenkeeper! @Eggcessive thanks for your constant kindness, knowledge and emotional support.
And Lord knows what I would do without all of the collective knowledge and kindness here on BYC!
Thank you everyone who posted with support and ideas!
sorry to hear she didnt make it... you did well to get her to a vet and put as much effort into helping her as you did. If you do end up getting a necropsy done, let us know what the results are

Back
Top Bottom