4 1/2 week old Silkie - PLEASE HELP!!! Treating for Cocci.

DaddyBird

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Our 4.5 week old silkie starting showing signs of what I believed to be cocci. We lost another chick a few days before and hadn't figured out that it might be cocci until our silkie came down sick and we noticed loose stool with a hint of pink. Here is the timeline with symptoms:

Last Friday afternoon - Chick died
Last Friday evening - Started medicated chick starter
Saturday through Monday afternoon - All chicks fine
Monday evening - Noticed silkie lethargic, not eating and separating herself
Monday night - Silkie not any better, decided to start feeding with eye dropper (medicated food dissolved with water, every hour or hour and 1/2 through the night).
Tuesday morning - Silkie rallied and seemed back to normal. We started Corid since we suspected cocci and wanted to make sure she was being treated and the others were as well just in case. We did switch back to the non-medicated food since we weren't sure if we should mix the two.
Tuesday night - A couple of our others now have diarhhea and a little tired but nothing like the little one.
Wednesday (today) - Silkie begin to act ill again, separating herself, feathers fluffed, laying around in the corner not eating or drinking that I have seen. I gave her a little Corid water with the eye dropper so I felt like she had a little hydration. I have mixed up some food with Corid water and will feed to her shortly.

What else should I be doing for her? Is this normal for a chick to have a 'relapse' before getting better? Just worried about her and want to try and save her.

Thanks!!!

Our 4.5 week old silkie starting showing signs of what I believed to be cocci. We lost another chick a few days before and hadn't figured out that it might be cocci until our silkie came down sick and we noticed loose stool with a hint of pink. Here is the timeline with symptoms:

Last Friday afternoon - Chick died
Last Friday evening - Started medicated chick starter
Saturday through Monday afternoon - All chicks fine
Monday evening - Noticed silkie lethargic, not eating and separating herself
Monday night - Silkie not any better, decided to start feeding with eye dropper (medicated food dissolved with water, every hour or hour and 1/2 through the night).
Tuesday morning - Silkie rallied and seemed back to normal. We started Corid since we suspected cocci and wanted to make sure she was being treated and the others were as well just in case. We did switch back to the non-medicated food since we weren't sure if we should mix the two.
Tuesday night - A couple of our others now have diarhhea and a little tired but nothing like the little one.
Wednesday (today) - Silkie begin to act ill again, separating herself, feathers fluffed, laying around in the corner not eating or drinking that I have seen. I gave her a little Corid water with the eye dropper so I felt like she had a little hydration. I have mixed up some food with Corid water and will feed to her shortly.

What else should I be doing for her? Is this normal for a chick to have a 'relapse' before getting better? Just worried about her and want to try and save her.

Thanks!!!
Correct - Classic symptoms of cocci... the damage happens fast and really needs to be treated as soon as you see symptons, like that day. The medicated feed is not a treatment, it is a preventive - completely different. Yes you can continue to feed medicated feed even though you are giving them Corid. This is a good choice what dose are you using? Yes, always treat all of them if you see symptoms in one, that is good. Next time use medicated feed from day one.

We have been using 2.5 ml per quart and it seems to be effective. They are all up and happy, eating, drinking and acting like little chickens. We were planning on running that through Saturday (5 days).

Glad to hear your wee ones are getting better!

Thought I'd mention- any time I have a disease of any kind running through my flock, I immediately get everyone on a vitamin and electrolyte supplement. It really does do wonders. You can get a powder supplement at feed mills. I always keep electrolytes on hand! I'm not familiar with Corid, but Sulmet also works well for treating Cocci in chicks. :)

Glad to hear your wee ones are getting better!

Thought I'd mention- any time I have a disease of any kind running through my flock, I immediately get everyone on a vitamin and electrolyte supplement. It really does do wonders. You can get a powder supplement at feed mills. I always keep electrolytes on hand! I'm not familiar with Corid, but Sulmet also works well for treating Cocci in chicks. :)

We read about Sulmet as well but all our research was pointing to Corid as the most effective and we had one on the brink so we wanted to go after it hard. If the little Silkie didn't make it I think my wife would still be sulking. Tomorrow morning I'm putting in the coop foundation and mounting the coop to the sled I build for easy moving. I'll run to the store and get some probiotics and electrolytes after that.

Here she is- fat and sassy!

what a little doll baby she is

Thanks! She is her mommy's favorite now that they spent all that "quality time" together. I made the mistake of referencing the birds as"my chickens" yesterday (I mean, after all, the permit was given for my birthday) Boy was that a mistake LOL.

We read about Sulmet as well but all our research was pointing to Corid as the most effective and we had one on the brink so we wanted to go after it hard. If the little Silkie didn't make it I think my wife would still be sulking. Tomorrow morning I'm putting in the coop foundation and mounting the coop to the sled I build for easy moving. I'll run to the store and get some probiotics and electrolytes after that.

Here she is- fat and sassy!

Oh she is so cute!! :)

I'll keep Corid in mind for next time I have a bout of Cocci. I don't think my local feed mill carries it....I'll look at the other feed stores in town. So glad she is doing alright! :)

First..NEVER CLAIM A FAVORITE!! Something will always happen!!

Sulmet works wonders for coccidia and is the most effective treatment I have found for chicks showing the first signs of coccidia. ( Fluffed up, heads back, general unthriftyness ) The best dose for sick chicks is 2tbsp per gallon changed daily for 3-4 days. As preventative it can be used once every seven days mixed 1 tbsp per gallon for 2 days. I only take preventative measures if they have already shown a weakness towards the bacteria. Do not use metal measuring spoons or water containers it reacts and diminishes the effectiveness of the medication.

I have also successfully used the calf milk replacer "Scour Ease" medicated by Manna Pro. I only use this if they have bloody or excessive diarrhea. It contains neomycin and oxytetracycline as well as probiotics. This is the only thing I have found that can bring back chicks that have had bloody stool. This is a sign that they are shedding off intestinal lining. Once the lining of the intestines has started to become compromised from the bacteria the infection can penetrate the wall of the intestines and cause toxemia from the coccidia bacteria. It is then that antibiotics are needed to help them recover. I mix 1tsp per quart of warm water and change it twice a day. You can even add raw honey to the water to encourage them to drink. (also a natural antibiotic)

I use non medicted feed and have better results just treating for it when I see symptoms. I found that weaning them off of the medicated feed is tricky but letting them build up natural immunity by not giving it to them helps for healthier chicks in the long run.

Goodluck with your chicklets! :)

-Nicol

Back
Top Bottom