4/17/12 Hatch buddy anyone?

I've read this whole thread, from the beginning, because I'm anxiously awaiting my first pip. I set 8 eggs (not sure what breed, as the person who gave them to me did not know...
idunno.gif
) on the afternoon of April 19th.

The two that survived through to lock down have been rocking and rolling all evening, but no visible pips yet.

Unfortunately (for me, that is...) we're incubating in a pre-school classroom at my child care centre and it is, currently, 10:57 pm... I haven't been home from work yet, nor have I eaten any supper
caf.gif
because I've been too busy anxiously staring at the eggs and reading every thread, here, that I've put my eyes on...being reassured (by most) and newly anxious (by some) of the posts I've been reading.

The frustating part is that I have GOT to go home! After all, I'll have to be back here in less than 9 hours! But, I'm terrified that I might miss them hatching - or worse - they might hatch and something could go wrong and I won't be here to do anything about it...!

Though, we do have an infant program, so I have been contemplating pulling a crib mattress out of one of the cribs and settling in, for the night, in the pre-school room, beside the bator
hmm.png

What d'ya think, folks, am I nutso, or what???

haha, yeah, but then, we're all nuts!!! Staring at an egg for hours at a time! lol But I love coming here among folks that understand completely. Too bad you're down to just 2 eggs, puts more pressure on you! Hate disappointing the little kids! That happened last year in my son's kindergarten class - none hatched. The poor teacher had to go out and buy a couple of chicks for them!

You gotta eat, and you gotta sleep. Really, there probably isn't much you can do for them except let them do what they do! And if they haven't even pipped yet, you probably have time. Mine pipped 24 hours ago, and is finally starting to do a little more tonight now. Seems like they can take FOREVER!!! lol I vote for going home, get some food and sleep, and come back to watch the action tomorrow! Good luck and keep us posted!
pop.gif

Yup! I just finished mopping and I'm gonna head out. One of the other teachers opens the centre at 6:30 am so she'll call me if there are any changes, in the morning when she gets here, anyway, so that's not even 7 hours from now! Gonna just take one more peek and then I'm leaving....really, I am... ha ha

p.s. I post in the am to update on the waiting...

O.K. I really am leaving now... wish me luck to actually get some sleep at home lol
lau.gif
ok, I hope you really left and you get a little sleep! Hope they wait for you!

I've had an exciting evening - I'm a momma!!! My first little guy finally made it out after pipping 24 hours ago, and I guess the other two got excited, because now they've pipped too!
wee.gif

Now, to go to bed, or not go to bed......that is MY question too! haha Hate to miss anything, but at least I got the first one on video!

Oh its so fun hearing everybody getting pips.. As others said, mine took about 12-13hours after the first pip too.. then they came out one after another :)
So sorry to hear about the loss Farminmomma.. my little one eyed chick opened his other eye tonight and is running around doing good now.. Definatley smaller then the rest, but such a little loving chick...
I cant wait for everyones pics :)

Here's the photo. My first chick ever. Now, if I could just stop her playing soccer with the other eggs everything would be OK.

IM USING MINI ADVANCE FOR MY FIRST HATCH EVER!, CAN YOU HELP A NEWBIE PLEASE
HOW DID THE HUMIDITY WORK? FILL BOTH POTS? DID YOU HAD TO REFILL IT?

Yipee! My first peep pipped overnight because the teacher that opens at 6:30 am called me to tell me there was a tiny little hole. Since then he/she has started to zip, but it's going very slowly... Gott go check...I can here a lot of commotion in the preschool room
wee.gif

Yay for you!

I haven't seen any pips or even motion from the other eggs. I broke the rules and pulled the two out and put them in their own brooder. that room is just full...two sets of chicks in brooders, the hatchlings in a brower brooder (for 100...just the two of them...argh) and two rabbits in quarantine because we just purchased them. I have NO WHERE else to put the poor rabbits so they have a fan and everyone seems quite comfy.

So, day 22 for me...do I leave them a few more days, sneak a couple out to candle, or just call it a day and set my duck eggs.

Or can I set my duck eggs now since I'm not sure if the others are good. But than I'd be opening the incubator to turn....

Update: 5 out of the 6 eggs have pipped, but it doesn't look good.

There has been little to no activity since each egg has pipped, and i see no sign of a zip or anything, just a little pip in each of them.
The one that pipped 24 hours ago had made some progress last night, but it seems that it's either too tired out or to big to move around.
So this morning I checked on it, and it was still making little peeping sounds when I shined my flashlight on its egg. I was glad it was still alive,
but I knew I needed to help it, it had been over 24 hours since the pip.

So I took a shower and came back, and I assisted it. But I am confused. Before I took a shower it was peeping and alive.
But while I took it out of the incubator and while I assisted it, it made no sound at all.
Did it die while I was in the shower? I could see the beak sticking out a little from the pip, but it didn't make any move or sound.
Is it just too tired to do anything?
I made the zip (It went well by the way, no blood or anything), so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. But unfortunatley, there are no more sounds coming from my 6 little eggs.

I'll just have to keep watching (Like I have a choice).

IM USING MINI ADVANCE FOR MY FIRST HATCH EVER!, CAN YOU HELP A NEWBIE PLEASE
HOW DID THE HUMIDITY WORK? FILL BOTH POTS? DID YOU HAD TO REFILL IT?

Hi Alihbaloch.

I'm a newbie too but here goes....

I had one side filled until lockdown and topped up about every 3 days. When I locked down I filled both sides of the water pot and let it do its thing. I have no hygrometer. I did refill the pots on Day 21 when I removed the first chicks. I did this in a hot and steamy bathroom with the shower running and, as I had trouble free hatches after this, it seemed to work OK.

I might just have been lucky but the mini advance seemed to make the whole hatching process simple and non-technical. I now have happy healthy chicks and am very impressed with the mini advance.

Back
Top Bottom