4.5 Month Old Silkie Sexing

coleson12

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
North Carolina
Hi everyone! I know there are many threads out there that show how to sex silkies, but I am having some confusion. I have 5 silkies and 1 frizzled cochin bantam (all are 4.5 months old). I live in an area that doesn't allow roosters and was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think on my silkie's genders. I bought all the chickens online from mypetchicken when they were 1 day old and they are all supposed to be hens, but I'm not sure how accurate they are with sexing bantams. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

p.s. I can't tell some of my chickens apart, so I may refer to them by a colored leg band they have.

Green
IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0287.JPG Green seems to have very little (or no) wattle, comb, or streamer development.
Purple
IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0293.JPG Purple seems to have some wattle, comb, and streamer development.
Red
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0307.JPG Red seems to have very little (or no) wattle, comb, or streamer development.
Miss Fluffy
IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0316.JPG Miss Fluffy is my only bearded silkie. She seems to have very little (or no) wattle, comb, or streamer development.
Lincoln
IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0278.JPG Lincoln is supposed to be a hen, even though they have a boy name. I read that the red comb in a genetic imperfection and has nothing to do with gender, but I am not sure. Lincoln seems to have the most comb and wattle development of all my chickens but seems to have no streamer development.
Windy
IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0323.JPG

Windy is my frizzled cochin bantam, she seems to have a little wattle and comb development.

Thanks again in advance!! I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I think purple is a cockeral and Lincoln my also be a cockeral but should be showing streamers by now if he is.
Hi, thank you so much! Could you tell by the pictures of purple that they were developing streamers? I am new to the whole silkie games and it looked to me that she/he was starting to maybe develop some small streamers, but not really sure as they weren't too evident.

I think purple is a cockeral and Lincoln my also be a cockeral but should be showing streamers by now if he is.
Also do Lincoln's features (larger wattles and comb) make him more likely to be a rooster, or is sexing silkies mainly based on streamer development? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom