4 day old chick died. Looking for some answers if possible.

emulhall

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Hi everyone. I am really devastated right now. I only bought 4 and she was an easter egger bantam from MPC.

She was 4 days old. When we got her, she was the most hyper, explorative one. She chirped so loud it gave me a headache sometimes. She was so hyper! Climbing everywhere. Then she just slowly deteriorated, constantly sleeping. I found some mucus like poop and green poop so I ran out and got corid and was syringe feeding electrolytes. I didn’t shove it down her beak though, I used as I would use a water dropper. As I was feeding her, she put up a fight. So I was like yay! She’s got some spunk like before! Then I put her down for a break and she just went limp. I’m devastated. What happened? She was 4 days old and I’d only had her for 3 days. When she passed, her cloaca protruded as well. Very unusual. Like an outie belly button. But I didn’t see any pasty butt? At all?

As for some of my possible mistakes.
- My heater broke and then I couldn’t get another in time. I’ve been using a heating pad and keeping them in a generally hotter room. Heating pad only had low, medium, high and my thermometer kept saying 80??? No! No way it’s that low! Turns out I should have been using a different setting and it was very, very hot in there. 102-107 kind of hot. But they weren’t acting hot. No panting, no gulping down water. They would still stay on the heating pad as if it felt nice? Obviously it is turned down now and I’m still waiting on the proper brooding plate ugh. I’m just anxious as hell because I’m wondering if she had brain damage from the heat?? I can’t bare it if it was my fault. I’m so devastated and am just looking for some help. She deteriorated so quickly. This is my first batch of chicks. I’m at a loss.

PS The other three are perfectly fine, so it doesn’t look like an infection. Either way, they got the preventative dose of corid in their water just in case.

Hi everyone. I am really devastated right now. I only bought 4 and she was an easter egger bantam from MPC.

She was 4 days old. When we got her, she was the most hyper, explorative one. She chirped so loud it gave me a headache sometimes. She was so hyper! Climbing everywhere. Then she just slowly deteriorated, constantly sleeping. I found some mucus like poop and green poop so I ran out and got corid and was syringe feeding electrolytes. I didn’t shove it down her beak though, I used as I would use a water dropper. As I was feeding her, she put up a fight. So I was like yay! She’s got some spunk like before! Then I put her down for a break and she just went limp. I’m devastated. What happened? She was 4 days old and I’d only had her for 3 days. When she passed, her cloaca protruded as well. Very unusual. Like an outie belly button. But I didn’t see any pasty butt? At all?

As for some of my possible mistakes.
- My heater broke and then I couldn’t get another in time. I’ve been using a heating pad and keeping them in a generally hotter room. Heating pad only had low, medium, high and my thermometer kept saying 80??? No! No way it’s that low! Turns out I should have been using a different setting and it was very, very hot in there. 102-107 kind of hot. But they weren’t acting hot. No panting, no gulping down water. They would still stay on the heating pad as if it felt nice? Obviously it is turned down now and I’m still waiting on the proper brooding plate ugh. I’m just anxious as hell because I’m wondering if she had brain damage from the heat?? I can’t bare it if it was my fault. I’m so devastated and am just looking for some help. She deteriorated so quickly. This is my first batch of chicks. I’m at a loss.

PS The other three are perfectly fine, so it doesn’t look like an infection. Either way, they got the preventative dose of corid in their water just in case.
I also want to say that they always had access to cool, clean water. So even if it was my fault and she was dehydrated from the heat, why not drink all that water? It’s replaced once or twice a day completely and I always made sure it was cool and not cold.

You said she was peeping a lot and very loud. That would have told me something was wrong from the start. I would ask for a replacement. If the rest are fine, it probably wasn’t anything you did. I hatched 9 chicks almost 4 weeks ago and there has only been the happy, content, quiet little Peeping noises they make when they are happy. Loud peeping is a sign of stress of some kind.

You said she was peeping a lot and very loud. That would have told me something was wrong from the start. I would ask for a replacement. If the rest are fine, it probably wasn’t anything you did. I hatched 9 chicks almost 4 weeks ago and there has only been the happy, content, quiet little Peeping noises they make when they are happy. Loud peeping is a sign of stress of some kind.
Sorry I should have clarified. She was only like that whenever I would pick her up for daily checks. Whenever she was just running around she didn’t make any stressed noises.

Did she die as soon as you put her down from syringe feeding her? Or did some time elapse?
Did she die as soon as you put her down from syringe feeding her? Or did some time elapse?
It wasn’t immediate but I would say it was only about a minute before it happened. See, I was thinking that maybe I put water down her trachea but I was very slowly dribbling the water near/on her beak. She kept opening her mouth and swallowing it down, so I figured she wasn’t choking. She also let out water right after she died. It came out on my hand.

It sounds like it came to you with whatever made that chick sick, not that you caused it. It's possible she was so weak that she couldn't swallow and it went into her lungs. We had a case of brooder pneumonia that took 4 of our chicks. And when we assisted with sugar water on one of them and i mean in the corner of the beak) she fought to swallow and died shortly after. It sounds like the condition she was in would have taken her one way or the other.

I'm sorry you lost her <3 It's hard to lose any, but I do not think anything you did caused her death.

I also want to say that I may have given her too much. I have anxiety issues so you can imagine having that on top of the anxiety and stress of looking at a chick who was dying and feeling helpless was nearly giving me heart palpitations. I feel like most of it just dribbled off of her, but I did give her a few syringes full of the corid water and electrolytes. Again, a LOT of it dribbled off, but she lapped some up. Can chicks die from drinking too much too fast? I mean, it seems she was already on her way out, but I’m just trying to see it from any angle.

It wasn’t immediate but I would say it was only about a minute before it happened. See, I was thinking that maybe I put water down her trachea but I was very slowly dribbling the water near/on her beak. She kept opening her mouth and swallowing it down, so I figured she wasn’t choking. She also let out water right after she died. It came out on my hand.

I would look up brooder pneumonia on google. See if it matches the description. It's usually brought with them from the hatchery. It's what took 4 of ours :(

It sounds like it came to you with whatever made that chick sick, not that you caused it. It's possible she was so weak that she couldn't swallow and it went into her lungs. We had a case of brooder pneumonia that took 4 of our chicks. And when we assisted with sugar water on one of them and i mean in the corner of the beak) she fought to swallow and died shortly after. It sounds like the condition she was in would have taken her one way or the other.

I'm sorry you lost her <3 It's hard to lose any, but I do not think anything you did caused her death.
Thank you so much. I also lost a hen a few weeks ago. So I’m just really grieving.

I also was only dribbling it on her beak if anything, but that makes sense. I mean she was hardly strong enough to stay awake for more than a minute, so I can see how swallowing would also be difficult.

Thanks again <3

Back
Top Bottom