4 Geese at Humane Society-Harford County, MD

mdfishinggirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
I dropped in at the local humane society yesterday and they had 4 Geese (3 Toulouse and one mixed breed). They believe there is one male and three females. They were found "wandering" and were picked up by animal control. The adoption price is SO cheap. I would take them if I could, but I am at max capacity with my geese and chickens. If anyone would like some very nice looking geese, please check these out! They were all getting along just fine and looked great.
PM if you want more info, as I have seen them first hand.

Thank goodness I don't live up there...

WHY OH WHY DON'T I LIVE UP THERE!
big_smile.png

Of course it never entered into animal control minds that these geese might wander home again. Before I got sick of worrying about it my geese used to wander the neighborhood. First stop was next door where they would check if the cat had finished his food and to get seeds kicked off the bird feeder. On to a lawn that had a nice patch of clover. next to visit the horses. get a badly needed drink and sometimes a dip in the horse trough. quick check to see if they had spilled any grain from the feeder. On to the pond for wet plants and to check if the old guy had left too much food for the Canadas. turned back for home through the swamp to see what they could find. then flop down on the drive for nap time. Goose life is tough.
Funny thing is I never heard a word from anybody commenting on the visits until I fenced them in and then I got questions wondering if they were alright. The city transplants thought it was just a charming country event to be visited by a flock of of tame geese and they missed watching my clowns.

You're absolutely correct Goosedragon. The humane society never placed the goose I got from them in their "found pet" list. I double checked after the woman who is coming to get her goose told me she listened to their found pet line everyday. Since no one was sponsoring the goose he had another week to live, and they never thought that someone might be looking for him.
sad.png

Now you have done it! got me started on animal control and the Humane Society. When I first got interested in keeping poultry (out of the apartment and onto a farm) I went down to the humane shelter and introduced myself (I share my last name with the biggest chicken producer/processor in the area) Told them I was interested in providing homes for any poultry turned into the shelter, swore I would be "no kill" and left a check for $100 to support their good cause. Evidently they figured out that i wasn't the rich support they had hoped for based on my last name. I expected a lot of action since this is a meat chicken producing area and a lot of birds fall off the truck on their way to be "processed" I also hoped to get Easter ducklings or chicks that people dump when they get sick of caring for them. When a couple of months had gone by with no birds I checked them out. It seems the no kill shelter sends live birds to a "big cat" (lions and tigers etc) preservation center for toys and food. Ducklings and chicks go to "Raptor Rescule" since they want to kill their own food! Small mammals share this fate. I like Raptors (hawks owls etc) so I was also donating money to them, that is how I found out about the food supply being supplemented by the Humane Society. Ask me to donate again!

Goosedragon, the same thoughts have crossed my mind...my geese have plenty of room to roam and still end up in the neighbors pastures! I feel awful for the geese at the Humane Society, as I really believe they were just wandering about and would go home. Argh. I hope someone around here will see my post and is able to help them out! Maybe I will post it on the Maryland thread.

Back
Top Bottom