4-H

Thank You....I was looking at a silkie

I have 6 silkies and all are tame and very pesty; always looking for a treat-even those that are brooding. They would be great for youngsters and a 4-H project. A few years ago I gave a few to a student for the same purpose; won a blue ribbon at the fair.

Last edited:
Hey there! Retired 4-H'er here...I'd say it depends what your child wants to do. I would say that, yes, silkies and such are tame and easy to handle; but in my experience with the Showmanship aspect is that a crestless, clean legged bantam works best. My favorites were Wyandotte, Orpington, and especially any Modern game or Old English.

I'm just trying to get an ides of what's best for a small child. I'm not sure my niece will even want to do 4-h

I would recommend Wyandottes Bantams or Bantam Plymouth Rocks. Cochins and Silkies have nice temperaments, but you will sometimes have trouble keeping them clean/fluffy enough for showing. Those fluffier breeds can also be more susceptible to mite infestations. Wyandotte Bantams and Bantam Rocks are relatively common breeds that tend to have good temperaments, are hardy, and have been bred to a high state of perfection.

I'm just trying to get an ides of what's best for a small child. I'm not sure my niece will even want to do 4-h

"... a small child." How about a small, small chicken. This is Rusty and Wart; two serama roosters-10 and 12 ounces and about 10 inches tall or less.

Back
Top Bottom