4 Hens, 5 Eggs?

ksmama97

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 2, 2007
Kansas
Yesterday my hens each laid an egg. Four hens, four eggs. This morning (well 11am
wink.png
) I opened up the coop and found 4 eggs again. Just now my DD checked the nesting box and found a 5th egg! What the heck? I didn't think that was even possible.

Normally we get 2-3 eggs. Four is very rare.

Any ideas?

someone could be laying eggs to hatch maybe? IDK
lol.png
dont ask me im dumb lol

Chicken laying is certainly a mystery to me still. It always keeps me guessing as to what will happen today.
hmm.png

Last week my six hens laid ten eggs the same day. I was incredulous. I have heard of the odd hen laying two eggs the same day, but ten in a day meant that at least four of them laid twice. Why all the same day? Was it the alignment of the stars or something? I had never gotten two eggs in one day from any of them before then.

The regular six eggs a day, followed for several days after that, then yesterday I only get four eggs total.
hmm.png
I checked all around the run in case they decided it was too much effort to go back to the nest, but not a one to be found. In addition, the eggs were not all sitting in the nest, by 10 am, which is usually the case. Instead they were layed in intervals spaced out through the day.

Perhaps it's the heat wave we have gotten the last 8-10 days?...I don't know...it's all a mystery to me.
roll.png

If a simple creature like chickens can be so baffeling, I hesitate to add any livestock to the place. Perhaps I'll hold off on sheep for awhile....

It is possible, although unusual.

My personal theory about how this happens is that a hen's system gets a bit 'blocked up', or slows down for whatever reason (maybe heat, etc) the day before so that the 1st egg is slow to be laid, and then the 2nd egg comes right behind it.

I'm sure there are other scenarios, but that seems the most logical way to get two well formed eggs in one day.

It also makes sense that you wouldn't get an egg either the day before, or the day after from that particular hen.

Again, I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems the most likely scenario to me.

I have always been in amazement that a chicken can lay a fully developed egg every day, but more than 1 a day is beyond my small mind. May be some day I will experience this. John

Maybe the stars did line up right. LOL Maybe they overheard us discussing getting rid of a couple of them.
lol.png

Thanks for the input!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom