4 month old Barred Rock

jaxia

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
Broken Arrow, ok
im curious of the average age a BR starts to lay. mine is 4 months old and i dont have nesting boxes. we made our coop with 3 but they started sleeping in there, so i took out the dividers and put in a 2x4. i have dowel rods in the coop but they never use them. we learned late that the roosts should be higher than the nests. oops, newbie mistake. so i need to figure out a good place to put a nesting box that i can access and id like to have an idea of the time frame.

Most dual purpose breeds like the Barred Rock will start laying at 5-6 months old. You will probably need a nest box in a month or so.

im curious of the average age a BR starts to lay. mine is 4 months old and i dont have nesting boxes. we made our coop with 3 but they started sleeping in there, so i took out the dividers and put in a 2x4. i have dowel rods in the coop but they never use them. we learned late that the roosts should be higher than the nests. oops, newbie mistake. so i need to figure out a good place to put a nesting box that i can access and id like to have an idea of the time frame.
My Barred Rocks were the first of my breeds to lay. They started at about 18 weeks sporadically but by 20 weeks it has been an egg each day. I would get some nest started pretty quick if I was you.

I read this and began to freak out until I counted weeks. I cant count it may june july aug is 4 months! Lol she was hatched around may 13th so she is only like 13 weeks old. I freaked myself out there for awhile! Lol. Ty for the input tho. Now I know I have over a month to work it in the design.

Back
Top Bottom