4 month old lays egg?

Clementine2022

Songster
Nov 5, 2022
Mt Plymouth, FL
I have a 4 month old EE that laid an egg this morning. Is this ok? Is it normal? There was a little blood on the shell. The egg was very small so I opted to place it into a nesting box. She laid it on the ground in the run. I'm in shock. I know Clementine has been breeding with the younger birds, but did not expect this. My 8 month old Lavender Orphington will not let him touch her and has not started laying yet. This is just so weird to me.

How many weeks in those 4 months?

18 weeks would be early, but not astonishing for a production-breed bird so if her background includes a solid dose of Leghorn it's not too surprising.
Maybe 18, not sure. I know there is Speckled Sussex in there. She looks more like that breed. The egg was a pale green. Very pretty... I'm afraid to crack it. lol Letting it stay in the nesting box for a little bit

There was a little blood on the shell.

I believe this is not uncommon in pullets, and to only be concerned if it is on-going.

Of my new pullets, obtained at about 6-8 months, the first few eggs from her did have a little blood on the shell, but apart from 2-3 eggs, no more blood. It was also a sudden hot spell, and that could have been something to do with it.

I believe this is not uncommon in pullets, and to only be concerned if it is on-going.

Of my new pullets, obtained at about 6-8 months, the first few eggs from her did have a little blood on the shell, but apart from 2-3 eggs, no more blood. It was also a sudden hot spell, and that could have been something to do with it.

Yes, it's not uncommon for new layers and/or hens going into or coming out of molt to lay some wonky eggs.

Back
Top Bottom