4 Month old Silkies...help!

None of them have any streamers in the back of their head poof. I just read about that being a boy sign. I'm going out to double check. At what age should those streamers become obvious?

I'm usually great at sexing chickens from 3-4 weeks, but these Silkies are throwing me through a loop!

Last edited:
Quote:
At least in my experience lower quality (no offence) Silkie males are fairly obvious by now. The streamers in the back of the poof show up after all the feathers have seperated on the poof. I hope that makes sense. In high quality (show quality) silkies with extra large poofs it can take 6 months for all the feathers on the poof to fully seperate so it can take much longer for a roo to show itself. I have some hens with large combs and big feet but are hens all the same so I dont usually trust size of body, feet or comb. I really think those are all girls! If they are - what a lucky pick from the bin.
smile.png

Bumping this thread...they are nearing 5 months now and still no crowing and no eggs! One is looking more roo-like with a big red/purple comb, longer wattles, and protective behavior. I've never ever waited so long to figure out what sex my birds are before, it's driving me crazy!

Here is a picture of all four. I think the one in very front and the one on the back left are roosters. Definitely the one in the front.

6060291356_bb992dafb1.jpg

Up close of the one in the front.

6060291480_a3367e6379.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, it's so hard to tell! I know that #1 is the same bird on the far right in the newest picture. I'm certain that one is a pullet and we named her Madame Pomfrey. Her big round poof is different from the other three and she has no comb at all, which worries me that the other three could all be roos!
The one in the front of the newer pictures is the same as #3, I think. He is very friendly. The other two Silkies, one has a slightly bigger comb than the other but they aren't friendly and it's so hard to tell them apart unless you're up close.

Quote:
At least in my experience lower quality (no offence) Silkie males are fairly obvious by now. The streamers in the back of the poof show up after all the feathers have seperated on the poof. I hope that makes sense. In high quality (show quality) silkies with extra large poofs it can take 6 months for all the feathers on the poof to fully seperate so it can take much longer for a roo to show itself. I have some hens with large combs and big feet but are hens all the same so I dont usually trust size of body, feet or comb. I really think those are all girls! If they are - what a lucky pick from the bin.
smile.png

x2

I think you have 3 hens, one roo; though I'm not sure because one of the hens seems somewhat like a roo. One with the red/purple comb, longer wattles, and protective behavior seems to be a roo.

Roo's usually have streamers in the back. Here's a picture of my silkie rooster. he has a streamer; check for a streamer on your 'roo'

100647_another_sunny.jpg

Good luck and you are lucky to have so many that are hens (hopefully!) Out of three silkie chicks I got, 2 started crowing and the last one I strongly hope is a hen!!

Back
Top Bottom