4 week Golden Laced Wyandotte Pullet or Roo?

Fruit Juice

Songster
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Boulder, CO
She has longer tail feathers than the others, and her comb is turning very pink at the top. You can't see the redness in this pic, but here is her comb:
24946_dsc05649.jpg

Here is her tail feathers:
24946_dsc05654.jpg

24946_dsc05656.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 glw's..they are about 6 weeks now. What I have heard is that the combs turn red earlier than other breeds, so you can't tell from that. If the tail is longer, that may be an indication that it is a PULLET. There is still a question for me if any of mine are roos, I suspect one, but now it is starting to look more like the others...basically it is just too hard to know this early. I have also heard that Roos are slower to develop than pullets.

Let me know if you want pics of mine to compare to yours. It is really hard to tell from your pic's...can you get a side shot that includes the head?

I'd guess pullet. Comb is still dark and the tail feathers really don't mean anything at that age. As eponagirl said, the combs on GLW roos turn red pretty early, from what I have raised.

Quote:
I second that. We freaked out because our GLW's comb turned red faster than the others and it was just her breed. Yep, HER breed. I'm thinking pullet too.

Back
Top Bottom