4 week old chick fluffed out wings down - treating with corid

Have you seen him eating anything weird? Sometimes they will munch on wood chips. I can't remember if you said the brooder was lined with plastic? I would get that out of there if you think theyre picking at it

Don't do too many things at once or you won't know what's working. I would skip the corid tomorrow at least and give him the Nutri-Drench and egg yolk mash and see if he improves. Then if that doesn't work we will tag some experts to see if we can get better help. Nutri-Drench has saved my chicks many a time. You can put the grit out but I don't see why the chick would have crop or cocci issues at this point
Ok thanks. I don’t have nutri-drench but will head to feed store tomorrow to see if they have it. I’m in Canada so not sure if availability is same here. I’ll do mash with yolk, water and feed at least in morning until I sort that part out.

Have you seen him eating anything weird? Sometimes they will munch on wood chips. I can't remember if you said the brooder was lined with plastic? I would get that out of there if you think theyre picking at it
I haven’t seen them messing with it but they have been digging down and have exposed it. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow. I put a few branches and rocks in there when they were young but took them out about a week ago? I just remembered/realized that now. So much troubleshooting.

I haven’t seen them messing with it but they have been digging down and have exposed it. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow. I put a few branches and rocks in there when they were young but took them out about a week ago? I just remembered/realized that now. So much troubleshooting.
Rocks and branches should be fine too. I think that sometimes chicks get stressed from hatching, shipping, adjusting to new things (even grown hens will go on a laying strike if you rearrange their coop sometimes) and while its easy to get stressed about it yourself the fact is sometimes they just don't do well. Usually you can get them over the hump with a little TLC. Sometimes they have genetic issues that show up later and they just don't make it. I think this guy is just a little stressed.

Photos of poop please.

1/4tsp of Corid to 8 cups of water is incorrect.
If you have liquid Corid it would be 1tsp per 8 cups or powdered Corid would be 3/4tsp per 8 cups (1/2 gallon). It's given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water, do not add vitamins or electrolytes during the course of treatment.

Chicks can and do have Coccidiosis in the brooder even if they have never been on ground. Coccidia are found in the poop and in soil. It's only when there's an overload that the Coccidia becomes a problem.

If the crop is not emptying, then you'll want to monitor that. See if it's emptying in the morning first thing before she eats/drinks.
I would recommend providing grit for chicks even if they are only eating chick feed. Chicks will eat pieces of bedding/shavings.
Waterer with corid since Monday. Holds about 8 cups of water and doing 1/4 tsp of corid but it seems that’s probably not the solution.

Thanks! I was wondering that. I don’t have nutri-drench just electrolytes right now. Will that do same?

I did check his crop again tonight and it seems more balloon like which happened a couple night ago. I’ll check it again in the morning. I haven’t been offering grit since feed is crumble only. No sour smell from him (I got my step-daughter to check because I have no sense of smell!)
Maybe I’ll set out some grit and mix yogurt in the mash?

Photos of poop please.

1/4tsp of Corid to 8 cups of water is incorrect.
If you have liquid Corid it would be 1tsp per 8 cups or powdered Corid would be 3/4tsp per 8 cups (1/2 gallon). It's given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water, do not add vitamins or electrolytes during the course of treatment.

Chicks can and do have Coccidiosis in the brooder even if they have never been on ground. Coccidia are found in the poop and in soil. It's only when there's an overload that the Coccidia becomes a problem.

If the crop is not emptying, then you'll want to monitor that. See if it's emptying in the morning first thing before she eats/drinks.
I would recommend providing grit for chicks even if they are only eating chick feed. Chicks will eat pieces of bedding/shavings.

Back
Top Bottom