4 week old chicks...

@jaredthefox I am going to keep them separate from my other 2, 6-month-old buff Orpington's until they get old enough at least. But it is warm in the day and mild at night so cold should not be a problem

The answer is yes. At four weeks, chicks are quite comfortable with temps down to 70 without additional heat. I have three two-week olds and they don't need any heat at all during the day when it's in the 80s, and they have a heating pad to keep them warm at night when it gets down to the 50s.

After a week of getting to know the other two chickens through a partition, you might consider opening small pop holes into the main run so they can mingle. It gives them much more freedom of movement and helps expedite the integration process while they're still young enough not to present a challenge to the others.

Just make sure there is plenty of room, lots of perches of varying heights and food and water kept inside the chick pen so they don't need to compete for those necessities.

The answer is yes. At four weeks, chicks are quite comfortable with temps down to 70 without additional heat. I have three two-week olds and they don't need any heat at all during the day when it's in the 80s, and they have a heating pad to keep them warm at night when it gets down to the 50s.

After a week of getting to know the other two chickens through a partition, you might consider opening small pop holes into the main run so they can mingle. It gives them much more freedom of movement and helps expedite the integration process while they're still young enough not to present a challenge to the others.

Just make sure there is plenty of room, lots of perches of varying heights and food and water kept inside the chick pen so they don't need to compete for those necessities.

thanks for the info! I

I would also agree yes. Although I don't think you would need to keep them seperate if you have ample space. I currently have chicks that are 3 weeks through 2 years old. My main pen consists of mentioned chickens, guinea, ducks and turkeys. Along with 5 roosters and 2 momma hens with chicks. My flock has become accustomed to babies running around so I can add new ones as desired no problem. You can add the babies in with the 6 month olds if you wanted. Just keep them in a small cafe inside the run that has the 6 month olds for a few days. When you let them out they may peck or bully for a short time. That's bormal. Just establishing pecking order. As long as no injuries are present.

They'll be fine. I have 3ish week chicks with a broody hen. When I go out at night, they're not always under momma, it's so warm. They just snuggle together.

Back
Top Bottom