4 week old pecking out own tail feathers

chococharly

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 12, 2014
This is a new experience for me. I have been raising chickens for a couple years now, but I have a new Buff Rock who is picking at her new tail feathers and has nearly plucked all of them out. I put the 4 week old pullets into a larger brooder, but I am not sure why she keeps doing this. Should I just put some wound salve on her tail and hope it will deter her from further destructive pruning? I will try to take a picture later. :)

Last edited:
Is she one of the 4 week olds? If so, how many birds and what are the dimensions?
What are they being fed? As in protein % and any additional foods?

Last edited:
Yes, she is one of the 4 week olds. She is just getting her feathers in. I just moved the three of them from a small container (2x3 ft) to (2.5x4.5 ft) I am feeding them Purina Start and Grow Medicated, but will be putting them on Nutrena Chick granules now that the Start and Grow is used up. What should I give them to increase their protein? The other pullets feathers are coming in nicely.

Does she EAT them or just pull them, this makes a BIG difference. If she is eating them she could be searching for the extra protein. If she's just pulling them it could be due to cramped quarters, or boredom. So is she just pulling them out? Or actually eating them?

Last edited:
She was just pulling them out, but I moved them to a slightly larger space until I take them out to the coop, and she has stopped doing it. I guess I was a little behind in getting them more space. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom