4-Year-Old Reveals Great Candling Tip

Kadra

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 23, 2013
West Linn, OR
This is my first time incubating. I have 7 "barnyard mix" chicken eggs (I started with 12) in a Little Giant Still Air Incubator in my bedroom, much to my husband's chagrin. :) They are on Day 10. I've done tons of Google searching for candling images, advice on possible "bad eggs", etc.

Yahoo Voices had a really good article on candling, I thought: http://voices.yahoo.com/when-candle-chicken-eggs-5933516.html?cat=7.

Anyway, last night I was getting worried because I didn't feel like I was seeing many veins in the eggs, so I did my obsessive internet searching, of course, and candled the eggs. Didn't see much. Today I was showing my MIL, and my daughter, how cool candling is. I just use my hand and a flashlight for now. In my first days of candling, I would have the egg on its side, rolling it around, then decided that might be too disturbing to the embryo. Now I just hold the egg upright, air pocket (big end) up, flashlight underneath. I explained to them how the dark part, up top below the air pocket, was the chick! My daughter said, "Shine the light on top of the egg!" Oh yeah, duh :) So I very carefully held the egg from the top end and shined the flashlight down into it. I was able to see very good veins in that egg that way! Tonight I candled again, and two had moving chicks inside! The others, you know, hard to exactly tell- two look like they might end up being "clears"- one is a Copper Maran egg so hard to tell with that one because it's a dark chocolate brown.

Happy Hatching!

Back
Top Bottom