40 eggs die in incubator

Sether55

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
I have had about a 60% hatch rate in the past and as well during my first hatch this year. After the first incubation was successful we set three incubators, the first with 36 eggs and the other two with 40. We set the first one yesterday and 29 eggs were dead. We then candled the second incubator and about 20 we took out and we kept about 15 that are "possibly" alive in there. Our third one is two young to notice veins in any of the eggs. What on earth could have happened! We use automatic turners that all work, we kept the humidity up. We have done everything the same. Any ideas?

I have had about a 60% hatch rate in the past and as well during my first hatch this year. After the first incubation was successful we set three incubators, the first with 36 eggs and the other two with 40. We set the first one yesterday and 29 eggs were dead. We then candled the second incubator and about 20 we took out and we kept about 15 that are "possibly" alive in there. Our third one is two young to notice veins in any of the eggs. What on earth could have happened! We use automatic turners that all work, we kept the humidity up. We have done everything the same. Any ideas?
What kind of incubators are you using? Are they still air or forced? Have you checked your thermometers and hygrometers for accuracy and what are you using for humidity levels the first 17 days?

We use still air incubators. And we keep you the humidity around 50% just wondering why the first 17 and not the first 19 days. And we believe that are thermometers and hydrometers are accurate.

We use still air incubators. And we keep you the humidity around 50% just wondering why the first 17 and not the first 19 days. And we believe that are thermometers and hydrometers are accurate.
I would make sure the gages are all correct and recommend trying a low humidity incubation, provided you aren't in a high altitude and monitor the air cells to know when/how to adjust. The styro bators especially seem to do better with a lower humidity when possible. Often humidity in the 50's will cause chicks drowning because it prevents the eggs from loosing the moisture that they need to. Some people can successfully hatch at that level, but for the majority, lower is proving to be better. Why 17? Because most people start lockdown at day 18 and raise the humidity.

I really stress checking the thermometers because I know what happens when you trust one that hasn't been checked. Bought a brand new one my first hatch never checked it, found out at the end (after a VERY bad hatch) that it was 6 degrees off, so stressing checking your instruments is par for course. And one mantra you will hear again and again on here from many people. That and NEVER trust the incubator's gages, especially in the LGs and FIs.

Now, you are maintaining your temps about 101-102F taken near the tops f the eggs, right? Now the chicks that are hatching, are they hatching "on time"?

Here's a humidity link if you are interested: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Last edited:
I would make sure the gages are all correct and recommend trying a low humidity incubation, provided you aren't in a high altitude and monitor the air cells to know when/how to adjust. The styro bators especially seem to do better with a lower humidity when possible. Often humidity in the 50's will cause chicks drowning because it prevents the eggs from loosing the moisture that they need to. Some people can successfully hatch at that level, but for the majority, lower is proving to be better. Why 17? Because most people start lockdown at day 18 and raise the humidity.

I really stress checking the thermometers because I know what happens when you trust one that hasn't been checked. Bought a brand new one my first hatch never checked it, found out at the end (after a VERY bad hatch) that it was 6 degrees off, so stressing checking your instruments is par for course. And one mantra you will hear again and again on here from many people. That and NEVER trust the incubator's gages, especially in the LGs and FIs. 

Now, you are maintaining your temps about 101-102F taken near the tops f the eggs, right?  Now the chicks that are hatching, are they hatching "on time"?

Here's a humidity link if you are interested: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

We have have always kept it at 99.5 at the top of the eggs and they hatch a day late. What temperature to you recommend is best?

We have have always kept it at 99.5 at the top of the eggs and they hatch a day late. What temperature to you recommend is best?
Still air should be 101-102 (101.5ish) at the tops of the eggs. That is why you are seeing a delay in hatch. I think if you adjust your temps up and try a lower humidity and just monitor your air cells, you will start to see an increase in your hatch rate.

Still air should be 101-102 (101.5ish) at the tops of the eggs. That is why you are seeing a delay in hatch. I think if you adjust your temps up and try a lower humidity and just monitor your air cells, you will start to see an increase in your hatch rate.

Thank you! I will take your advice and see what happens. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom