40 weeks and No eggs from one hen.

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Do I have a problem here? Anyone else ever had a hen who still not laying at 40 weeks? And she's not a roo. hmmmm

No, if they mature too late in the season they will sometimes not lay until the following spring. I have a pen full of 30+ week old non layers at the moment.

She's an Easter Egger. Born last May 6th so she is actually 42 weeks I believe.

Last edited:
and RIR are supposed to be hardy layers. I wonder.
idunno.gif

We have a pet shop in town, its mascot is what I believe, to be a splash banty cochin.. Not sure though.. Could be a mix. It is a year and a half.. And it has never laid an egg.. That is why it is the pet shops mascot.. The previous owner didnt want it, because of no eggs.. But she is a good broody though.. He took her to the vet, and they dont know why she doesnt lay..

Weird...

I'm afraid those birds would be culls here.

Biddieacres, we have EEs from a April 29 hatch last year - only 1 week older than yours. They were laying by mid-Sept. We've been get a 70-75% lay from them all Winter, except for a couple very cold weeks they cut back but still laid 30%.

Aville-man, RIRs under a year old should be laying too.

We supplement light. We use a timer and add enough evening light to make 16 hrs total per day. We feed 20% protein, free choice. Also, fresh water everyday and never let them run out.

If they won't lay under those conditions - well then, it's soup pot time here.

Back
Top Bottom