45 week old ameraucana not laying

Well - there you have it! If she is an EE - then the brown egg (a bit longer than the ones I've seen in the past) may be her egg. Poor girl - I 've been asking her everyday "When are you going to lay your egg?" ---- She's probably sick of hearing it! I am still looking forward to seeing two eggs on the same day...... Just to make SURE!

A couple of folks have asked for pics of Eggs and better pics of the Chick in Question..... I think I might have my answer..... I will give it a several more days and if I'm still not sure - more info. will be forth coming!

THANK you one and ALL for the advice.....

I'm now starting to think I might have a rooster.... So here is a head shot!

That's a hen.
If you want to see if she's laying check her pelvic points,
can be kind of hard to find at first, but once you find them it's easy.

2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

I have noticed the EE in question goes right into the Nesting box (and stays) with my Barred Rock when she lays her egg. My other hens (Hamburg and Cinnamon Queen) never did this..... could it be a sign that the EE is about to lay?

I have noticed the EE in question goes right into the Nesting box (and stays) with my Barred Rock when she lays her egg. My other hens (Hamburg and Cinnamon Queen) never did this..... could it be a sign that the EE is about to lay?
Yep, could be.

Not yet - her pelvic parts in need of a good washing - I'll do that this weekend when I have some time ..... A little squeamish I guess ....
1f633.png

SO - still no eggs and she is I year old.

I finally got a look at her Vent - it is smallish so I think I have a non-layer. Will she NEVER lay an egg or is there still hope?

Back
Top Bottom