4am Coffee Run For Baby Chicks

0range

Songster
May 29, 2022
Wisconsin
On Wednesday night a bad storm knocked the power out for about 16 hours. Even though it's pretty warm, my 8 day old baby chicks were getting cold and I wasn't able to hold them all night. So, being the unresourceful city girl that I am despite living in the country for years, I did what I know best and threw an overpriced cup of coffee at my problem :p I drove the the nearest gas station that had power (15 mins away), bought a few cups of coffee, then transferred it into glass containers wrapped in towels. It took a bit of fussing to be sure it wasn't too hot or unsafe, but the chicks ended up snuggling up to them and sleeping well. I had to do this twice before power was restored and afterwards my husband remembered that we have a propane camping stove :rolleyes: But at least the chicks are healthy and happy!

Just thought I'd share just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament. Coffee is always the cure ☕:lol:

That's super intuitive! Get some rechargeable handwarmers for the future. Keep them charged when you have babies, incase this happens again (those are my new favorite way when traveling with the babies). Anything they can snuggle in (old towel, blankets, socks to line it, wool, warm sweaters). Make a makeshift insulated burrow and then put them all inside and drape closed the opening. We're in FL and before when we've had outages (because it only seems to happen when you have baby chicks and temps are lower) we've had to do some creative thinking, too. But I love the hot coffee wrapped up idea. Thanks for sharing!

That's super intuitive! Get some rechargeable handwarmers for the future. Keep them charged when you have babies, incase this happens again (those are my new favorite way when traveling with the babies). Anything they can snuggle in (old towel, blankets, socks to line it, wool, warm sweaters). Make a makeshift insulated burrow and then put them all inside and drape closed the opening. We're in FL and before when we've had outages (because it only seems to happen when you have baby chicks and temps are lower) we've had to do some creative thinking, too. But I love the hot coffee wrapped up idea. Thanks for sharing!
I had no idea such a thing existed! Definitely going to look into getting some. :D

Back
Top Bottom