5-6 week old chicks - overnight in coop question

IDchicks

In the Brooder
May 4, 2015
Hailey, Idaho
Hi. I have 4 chicks that started to spend their full day (7am-8pm) in their enclosed run/coop area at 4 weeks old (about 1 1/2 weeks ago). The temperature varies from a low of around 40 degrees at 5am and can get up to 70 by late afternoon (so huge temp swings). When I started putting the chicks out for the day the temp was in the mid 40s and when I took them in at night the temp was in the 50s. They would spend their nights in a room with the window open and the room temp was in the 50s. Last night was the first night I left them in their coop overnight (low arond 45) - the coop/run area does not have any supplemental light or heat and the coop is not insulated. The chicks looked great this morning and were scattered around the coop, waiting for me to let them out into the run at 6am (the temp was 45 outside and in their coop). The chicks are almost fully feathered (looks like their neck/head area is still feathering) - a picture of one of my chicks from a couple days ago is attached - all four are at the same "feathering" point and have a few more feathers now given the picture is a couple days old.

My question - I don't want to add any supplemental heat to the coop so if needed I will take them back in for an overnight in their brooder if needed but I was wondering:
1) Are there any signs or things I should watch for when I let them out in the morning to indicate they are too cold?
2) Our current weather forecast shows we have a couple of nights this week that will be mid to high 30s - if they are doing fine with night time temps in low 40s for a few days will dropping below 40 for a few nights be OK or should I take them in for those nights?

I got my chicks when they were 1 week old and they have always prefered the air temp cooler than the recommended guidelines - by about 5 degrees and they have never huddled together when they have been out when it's in the mid to high 40s but just not sure if mid 30s would be pushing it.

Thanks!

Do they have a box full of hay that they can snuggle down in? If they have that kind of accommodation in their coop, they should be fine. I'd hate to bring them in at this point. It would be a step backwards, and they are doing well. One of my 3.5 week old chicks got separated from the rest of the clutch, and spent the night alone in the lower, unprotected area of the coop, while the rest were snuggled in their loft. I gave them the MHP last night b/c it was so cold and raw. I felt bad for him, when I found him this morning, but he was no worse for the wear. I suspect that he spent the night in a cat carrier that I have lined with hay.

If they're mostly feathered out, temps as you describe are not very harsh. They will probably huddle in a tight group to stay warm.

They will complain to high heaven in a shrill, determined cheeping if they are uncomfortable. That will be your sign that they need heat. Merely snuggled in a silent clump means they're dealing with it.

Thanks for the input - the bedding on the floor of the coop is pine shavings, they seem to enjoy to snuggle down into it. Our forecast has changed a little, for the better, and it looks like night temps will stay above 40 degrees - yeah - the chicks are still gathering together buy the door to the run in the evenings waiting for me to take them inside ... I have to put them in their coop and once the pop door is closed they start complaining, but on a short while and than are pretty quiet for the rest of the evening. The temp was 45 this morning when I went out to let them out into their run and they were gathered around their feeder eating and don't even seem to notice the chilly temps.

After watching our first mama hen lead our baby chicks around the yard I've become a lot less worried about heat. They were outside at 3 days in 50ish degree weather. They would snuggle with mom to get warm, but were out in the cool air quite a while. Mom was "done" with them at 4 weeks at which point they had most of their feathers. They just snuggle on the roost.

If your coop is dry and not drafty, they'll be just fine.

As far as them gathering by the door and you needing to put them in the coop....

Lock them in the coop for a few days. They'll complain. But it will train them where "home" is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom