5 day old chick in a coma? HELP!

I’m so sorry to hear about your chick. It was very compassionate of you to take her and give her a chance at life. Every chick deserves that. If you can’t see her breathing or detect any movement at all, then I’m sorry to say that she’s likely already passed. She would still feel warm due to the heat source in her brooder. I am 100% for giving a weak chick every chance (and I have), but if there’s absolutely no movement she has passed. Again, I’m sorry. 😞
this was my exact thinking, that the heat lamp was keeping her warm, so i removed her from the heat to see if she would become cold. after about 4-5 hours out of the heat, she was still rather warm, so i really don't know what to think. i put her back under the heat after like 5 hours, just in case. I believe she is dead, or on the brink of it, but i just want to make sure before i bury her. thank you for taking the time to respond and help me out here. :')

Is she hot from the heat lamp?

After some time the stiffness goes away.
i removed her from the heat after i found her, yet after five hours she was still warm! it seems she is producing her own heat.

when i found her, she hadn't been dead long (if she's even dead) so i dont think the stiffness would have had time to go away by then.

I believe she is on the brink of death, but i just wanted to check here and see if there was anything i could do. thank you for taking the time to respond!

Have you checked for pasty butt already?
when i bought her from the store, she along with her sibling (who is extremely healthy and playful) both had pasty butt. i cleaned them off, and she improved a lot, eating and drinking. i fell asleep, and when i woke up she was dead/in a coma. i really have never seen anything like this, and i've had chickens for at least 8 years.

i removed her from the heat after i found her, yet after five hours she was still warm! it seems she is producing her own heat.

when i found her, she hadn't been dead long (if she's even dead) so i dont think the stiffness would have had time to go away by then.

I believe she is on the brink of death, but i just wanted to check here and see if there was anything i could do. thank you for taking the time to respond!
The stiffness usually takes a while to go away. I know that if I was you I would want a little while longer to bury her because I would feel the same way about accidentally burying it alive.
So sorry 🙁 but I am very proud of you for giving this little chick a chance ❤️

The stiffness usually takes a while to go away. I know that if I was you I would want a little while longer to bury her because I would feel the same way about accidentally burn it alive.
So sorry 🙁 but I am very proud of you for giving this little chick a chance ❤️
thank you so much for the kindness. it's so horrible to feel so helpless about what to do...

this was my exact thinking, that the heat lamp was keeping her warm, so i removed her from the heat to see if she would become cold. after about 4-5 hours out of the heat, she was still rather warm, so i really don't know what to think. i put her back under the heat after like 5 hours, just in case. I believe she is dead, or on the brink of it, but i just want to make sure before i bury her. thank you for taking the time to respond and help me out here. :')
Keep her comfortable and warm. Wait until morning to make any decision. You’re wonderful to bring her home with you instead of her passing in a bin full of chicks.

thank you so much for the kindness. it's so horrible to feel so helpless about what to do...
This is very strange. I really don't know what to say. If it happened to me I would probably be trying to gently give her little bits of sugar water. And just keep her warm and comfortable because I wouldn't feel confident that she was dead unless she felt stiff at least at some point. So sorry I really don't know what else to say I really wish that I could help. 😔

UPDATE:

this morning the chick is still not stiff :/ she hasn't moved, and her eyes are a bit sunken in this morning, but she still isn't that cold either. i'm positive she's dead, but without her being cold/stiff i'm not sure if i should bury her... My worst fear is burying a chick or any animal alive, so this is stressing me out. is it possible she just won't get stiff? anyone have any ideas? she smells a bit, but that may be from the pasty butt... i cleaned it off but still, it lingers... HELP!

Back
Top Bottom