5 day old Easter Egger acting strange

Sorry, here's the actual poop pic. 🥴

Attachments

• 20200420_235331.jpg
    20200420_235331.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 17
She just pooped a little! Here's a pic of what came out (sorry). Initially I had pine shavings for their bedding but switched to paper towels after reading that during their first week they may consume the shavings before they know what food is and that could make them sick. This poop looks suspiciously like pine shavings...😔
Edit: upon further inspection (okay, I touched the poop) it seems it's just pine shaving colored? There's really nothing to it; when I put my finger on it it was just wet, no substance to it.

My poor baby never did recover. She just passed away. She'd moved over to where the other chicks were and actually laid down with them but not too long after that I looked in the brooder for the thousandth time and she'd moved off on her own again, only now she was laying on her side and sort of gasping. I could see what was coming so I wrapped her in a tiny towel and laid her on my chest so she wouldn't die among the other chicks. I'm a big softy for animals but I did not expect to cry this much over a chick I'd had only two days...thanks for your questions and suggestions, I really appreciate your trying to help.

Oh no! 😔 I'm so sorry about your baby chick. We just got 5 easter eggers and it's amazing to me how fast you can get attached! Sending a virtual hug & hoping the rest of your girls stay well. ❤

My poor baby never did recover. She just passed away. She'd moved over to where the other chicks were and actually laid down with them but not too long after that I looked in the brooder for the thousandth time and she'd moved off on her own again, only now she was laying on her side and sort of gasping. I could see what was coming so I wrapped her in a tiny towel and laid her on my chest so she wouldn't die among the other chicks. I'm a big softy for animals but I did not expect to cry this much over a chick I'd had only two days...thanks for your questions and suggestions, I really appreciate your trying to help.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have 4 babies that are about 2 weeks old and it is a balancing act to care so much about the tiny things and still protect my heart from the reality of their fragility. :hugs

Oh no! 😔 I'm so sorry about your baby chick. We just got 5 easter eggers and it's amazing to me how fast you can get attached! Sending a virtual hug & hoping the rest of your girls stay well. ❤
Thank you so much. I went to pick up her replacement today and I bought a second one so the first wouldn't be alone on the car ride home. I fear I may be too soft to be a chicken owner...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have 4 babies that are about 2 weeks old and it is a balancing act to care so much about the tiny things and still protect my heart from the reality of their fragility. :hugs
Well said. As I was saying to CrawfamChicks, I'm afraid I may be too soft to be a chicken wrangler. It's worth the risk in finding out, they're such darling characters!

Back
Top Bottom