5 gallon bucket roll out nest box?

LadyBclucky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Cherryland, CA
Has anyone ever seen or tried a 5 gallon bucket roll out nest box? I can find designs for roll out best boxes or 5 gallon bucket nest boxes but I can't find the combination of the 2. I can't imagine it being very hard. I was just wondering if there's a reason I can't find a image of one... Is it a flop idea? I'd love to show something to the dh without having to draw it myself...

Do you have a design, or do you need one? I'm building some this weekend and can take some photos if needed.

Byron

If my design works, I'll share. There are companies out there that make roll-out trays that fit $200 roll-out nest boxes. These trays can be retrofit to a 5gal bucket with a couple of screws if necessary, but they don't address egg eating, only easy collection. The trays are only about $6 ea; so that's a decent option, but not a solution for egg-eaters, and doesn't provide a perch nor does it protect the eggs from pecking. You'd have to build a perch and lid assembly into your bucket. Once you do that, you may as well build a plywood nest box.

There are a lot of plywood and nail designs. Not everyone can build those; lots of cuts and pieces and fitting. I'm going to try to make something a lot simpler from a 5 gallon bucket and a chunk of drain pipe that can be constructed with a minimal number of tools. Hopefully it works out.

Back
Top Bottom