5 month old rooster is hobbling when he walks

PurdonChicks

Hatching
Mar 10, 2023
A friend gave me 2 Jersey Giant hens and one Jersey Giant rooster. They are all 5 months old. The two hens went right into my coop with my Texas Star (red sex link) hens and made themselves at home and none of the Texas Star hens are bothering them. But several of the Texas Star hens ARE pecking at the young rooster. He is very shy and hides behind the feeders and under the coop. When he walks he acts like his feet are sore. I have picked him up and moved his feet around and it didn't seem to bother him. No wounds on them that I can see. But each night I have to pick him up and put him in the coop. I have to set him near the feeders and waterer to get him to eat or drink. He stands okay, but hobbles when he walks. The only thing I can think that may have happened to him, is when we brought them home in the wire crate, perhaps one of his feet got caught under the floor wires? I am at a loss. I've been keeping chickens for several years and have never seen one of them act like this. I do have a Cinnamon Queen rooster and he is very mild. Also have another rooster that is a mix...not sure what he is, but he is gentle too. Neither of these current roosters are bothering the young one. I welcome your comments. Thanks all!

What come immediately to mind is the possibility of leg fractures due to his large size. If you've thoroughly examined the bottoms of his feet to rule out bumblefoot, I would nab two birds with one stone by placing him in a roomy crate in the run during the day or a special enclosure within the run, so he can keep off his feet as much as possible while at the same time getting used to his new flock.

Extra vitamin D3 can also help his body utilize calcium for bone healing if this is indeed his issue.

What come immediately to mind is the possibility of leg fractures due to his large size. If you've thoroughly examined the bottoms of his feet to rule out bumblefoot, I would nab two birds with one stone by placing him in a roomy crate in the run during the day or a special enclosure within the run, so he can keep off his feet as much as possible while at the same time getting used to his new flock.

Extra vitamin D3 can also help his body utilize calcium for bone healing if this is indeed his issue.
Okay thank you. I am reading about bumblefoot now. I'll ad vitamin D3 to his water.

I would second a possible fracture.
I had a rooster survive an attack by a pack of dogs. Amongst his injuries was injuries to his feet. I assume from running to get away from the dogs.
Because I has many other roosters at the time, I put him into a separate enclosure with a couple of mellow hens who were already in there. My guy had other injuries from the dogs and I kept him in a big dog create at night for a while. He was limping even after he recovered from the infection.
I am not sure how long he limped but it was quite a while. After a few weeks he started sleeping with the 2 hens in the brooder coop set up for them. Even though the roost was only few inches from the floor, he originally slept on the floor.
Eventually his foot injuries healed.
I am sure that it was helpful to have him separated from the main flock. He needed time to recover without feeling like he had to run away.

Back
Top Bottom