5 out of my 6 turkey eggs hatched today...how long should I wait...

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
Today, I had 5 of my 6 Royal Palm turkey eggs hatch. These are my first turkey eggs I have hatched. They all hatched pretty quickly too. I haven't seen any activity on the 6th egg at all.

How long should I wait until deeming the 6th egg non-viable? I know I need to move the poults probably by tomorrow evening at the latest. That will lower the temp and humidity in the hatcher.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Steven

I would wait til you take them out of the hatcher. You can listen to the remaining egg and see if you can tell if there is life there. If there is, give it another couple days. Good luck!

I moved the 5 poults and they are doing well in their brooder this morning. I waited until this evening and decided to check the 6th egg. I candled it and the air cell was small, so I opened it and it was yellow liquid inside. I guess it was either infertile or never developed past a day or so.

With my lack of experience, I didn't want to take a chance and dispose of a "viable egg, so I put it in the hatcher with the rest.

I had a feeling about that egg since the others hatched so close together and I saw no sign whatsoever from that egg.

I will be more knowledgeable in the future.

That's what life's about...learning.
smile.png

Thank you for your help.

Steven

OK,

Since the last time we spoke, I had another hatch that wasn't as successful. It had 4 Narragansett turkey eggs and 3 peafowl eggs. 3 of the Narragansett eggs hatched, but almost immediately one of the poults died. That was the 3rd to hatch. The second to hatch could never get up and after closer examination, I found that it had some deformities and had to me euthanized. The 1st that hatched, although a bit slow in getting around compared to the Royal Palms, eventually recovered well and is now with the Royal palms.

I have attached the newest pics of my Brabanter chicks which hatched 6 days ago and a pic of the Narragansett poult and a pic of the 5 Royal Palm poults. They are sooooo friendly. Every time I open the door to the brooder, they almost jump out to greet me. They are so funny, they are not in any way cautious with me. The Brabanters are a bit skiddish, but the breeder that I got the eggs from told me that they wouldn't be as docile as the Heritage breeds I already had, but that they would calm done with a bit of time and contact. The Narragansett is really doing well even compared to this morning. Now he/she is almost keeping up with the Royal Palms and they have a couple of days on him.

Anyway, enough of me jabbering...Here are the pics
smile.png

brabanter6dayold.jpg

BRABANTER CHICKS

narragansett24hrsold.jpg

NARRAGANSETT POULT

royalpalm3days.jpg

ROYAL PALM POULTS

I can't wait to take them outside. I brought them grass clippings and they went nuts over it. The weather has been hot here 80°F, but they are still a bit young for even 80°F. Maybe in a couple of weeks when I have lowered the brooder temp, then I will be able to do that.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

BTW, I ordered 4 white peafowl hatching eggs. I am going to give it another try...this time with only them in the incubator and this time instead of mixing species even though turkey and peafowl are very similar when it comes to incubating...maybe not similar enough though.

I also have 12 more Brabanter eggs incubating and 12 guineas incubating. They are not do for about 10 more days.

Back
Top Bottom