5 week old Barnevelders: 1 Cockerel, 2 Pullets, and 1 of undetermined gender???

snoggle

Chirping
7 Years
I have one definite cockerel and 2 definite pullets. The other chick, however, looks kinda in-between. He/she has a slightly bigger comb than the two pullets, but it is still much smaller than the cockerel. His/her coloration, especially on his/her head, is lighter than either the cockerel or the pullets.

I'm going to try to post pictures, but it isn't letting me right now. I'll see if I can post them in a response.

So, after I post the pics, please let me know what ya think I have.....

Thanks!

I'm going to say he is a HE. His comb looks redder than the pullets in the picture. I have limited experience with chickens so don't put too much trust in what I say!! I'm just figuring things out.

I had a She/he that was a late bloomer. I hoped he'd be a she but then his comb grew just like the other roos and there ya go!

Good luck to you!

I'm beginning to think that he is not a full Barnevelder. I also got Welsummers from the breeder and he kinda looks half Welsummer and half Barnvelder. My Welsummer cockerel has a much smaller comb than my Barnvelder cockerel. The mystery chick's comb and head feathers are like the Welsummer cockerel, but his body is colored like the Barnevelder cockerel.

Only time will tell.....

BTW - at 2 months old it is definitely a pullet. However, I'm certain she is 1/2 Barnevelder and 1/2 Welsummer. She looked exactly like the other Barnevelders when she was small and was sold to me as a Barnvelder. But now, she looks more like the Welsummers.

Back
Top Bottom