5 week old chick died, why?

Dalluge56

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 2, 2017
Hi,

We had four week old new chicks we set outside in the brooder with a heat lamp. They all have been doing great, turning the heat lamp off during the the day because it's been over the 100's here but back on every night so they could have a heat source. I woke up this morning and our Favorelle was dead. She was fine all day yesterday and last night when I turned the lamp back on at dusk. Anyone know what may have caused her pass away?

Could it have gotten too hot with the heat lamp? That would be my first guess. At 5 weeks old I don't think they would still need added heat. Chickens do much better than we think in cooler temps.

I'd like to show you something...
These are not chicks and they are only five days...not weeks old. Notice the temp not the poop.

I took these pics right now.
IMG_20180817_151356.jpg
IMG_20180817_151401.jpg

Dang, maybe that was it. I feel awful. I thought they had to have heat up to 8 weeks or until they have all their feathers. They don't quite have all their feathers yet.

I should add though the brooder we made was topped with Chicken wire and one opening on the side for air. Not sure if any of that matters though.

Dang, maybe that was it. I feel awful. I thought they had to have heat up to 8 weeks or until they have all their feathers. They don't quite have all their feathers yet.
If your weather is 100F during the day I can't imagine it gets anywhere near too cold for them at night.

Also...keep a close eye on their poop.
Coccidiosis is very common at this age. Know that 9/10 when you notice blood in poop its already bad and may be too late to save them.

If the chicks were outside something could have scared it to death, overheating might have been an option and I hate to say it but chicks die super easily I recommend next time make sure there is a heat source that doesn't cause to much heat, there's clean food and water, make sure the pen is clean and safe and hope for the best.

If your weather is 100F during the day I can't imagine it gets anywhere near too cold for them at night.

Also...keep a close eye on their poop.
Coccidiosis is very common at this age. Know that 9/10 when you notice blood in poop its already bad and may be too late to save them.

Thanks for all your input! I moved the rest back into the house, because I was afraid maybe it could have been a combo of things. Fingers crossed.

I’m so sorry for your loss , we have all lost chicks for one reason or other , I trapped one under my waterer ... I felt terrible guilt

What is that plant hanging into their brooder ? Are they eating it?

That could be a big problem .

I don’t take my chicks outside of my solid side brooder til they’re at least 8 weeks old . People take new borns babies to the mall , but I wouldn’t do that either .

Back
Top Bottom