5 Week Old Chicks with Sudden Crooked Toes

Waterfaery

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Ireland
I have 17 Bresse and 5 Light Sussex chicks who will all be 5 weeks old tomorrow. I hatched them all from my own birds with no losses in the hatch and perfect health so far. One chick had mild splayed leg when it hatched and was in hobbles for 2 days but was fine. I never noticed any other leg, foot or toe issues until yesterday. It really seems like it happened overnight, although maybe it was there but just more subtle before.

It seems to be the same toe on all of the affected chicks. The innermost one on either foot is bent to the side. Some are worse than others and the worst ones have more than one crooked toe.

This is a bit of a breakdown:
5 Light Sussex - all seem to be unaffected (so far)

17 Bresse:
4 seem ok so far
8 are only mildly affected (I probably wouldn't have even noticed them if I hadn't inspected them all after seeing the worst ones)
2 are moderate, with a bit of a bend
3 are really quite badly bent

This is one of the milder ones.

IMG_20230430_191044.jpg

And these are some of the worse ones:

IMG_20230430_192003.jpg

IMG_20230430_193100.jpg

IMG_20230430_193255.jpg

They were in an indoor brooder with non slip bedding for two and a half weeks. Then they were moved to an outdoor brooder with deep litter and access to a run on grass. I have oilcloth fabric under the deep litter, as I do in all my coops to protect the plywood floor. I'm not sure if that could be a problem? They only had a very small run for the first few days outside and then I changed it for a bigger one (1.5m x 3m). About a week ago I started letting them out into the main area with the adults, which is about 150m2 of grass within an electric fence. Their brooder is low to the ground and has a gently sloping ramp. They are outgrowing their brooder fast so I know I will need to do something about that soon.

They are eating 25% protein chick starter. The only other food they've ever had is scrambled egg and whatever they have foraged since moving out. When I noticed this yesterday, I added a chick multivitamin to their water. So far, they've had the same multivitamin just once before when they were about 2 weeks old.

1. My biggest question is, can this be Marek's disease? As far as I can tell from reading and looking though many other threads, these look like crooked toes and not curled toes as you would expect with Marek's. However, I have come across at least one thread where the toes were crooked and Marek's was suspected. The main reason I'm concerned is because I have an 11 month old cockerel who suddenly went lame two months ago. His thread is here.

2. If not Marek's, what can have caused this? Despite a huge amount of reading, I haven't come across anything very conclusive about crooked toes but maybe I've missed something?

3. And then importantly, what can I do for them?

I also have 15 other chicks who are almost 2 weeks old and all seem fine so far. None have any signs of leg, foot or toe issues. They have only briefly been on the grass so far. If it's something unavoidable and horrific like Marek's then there's nothing I can do. But if there's something I've done wrong with the older ones to cause it, I'd really like to make sure I prevent it happening with the little ones. And if there's anything I can change to help the 5 weeks olds at this stage, I'd really love to know.

I have 17 Bresse and 5 Light Sussex chicks who will all be 5 weeks old tomorrow. I hatched them all from my own birds with no losses in the hatch and perfect health so far. One chick had mild splayed leg when it hatched and was in hobbles for 2 days but was fine. I never noticed any other leg, foot or toe issues until yesterday. It really seems like it happened overnight, although maybe it was there but just more subtle before.

It seems to be the same toe on all of the affected chicks. The innermost one on either foot is bent to the side. Some are worse than others and the worst ones have more than one crooked toe.

This is a bit of a breakdown:
5 Light Sussex - all seem to be unaffected (so far)

17 Bresse:
4 seem ok so far
8 are only mildly affected (I probably wouldn't have even noticed them if I hadn't inspected them all after seeing the worst ones)
2 are moderate, with a bit of a bend
3 are really quite badly bent

This is one of the milder ones.

View attachment 3488288

And these are some of the worse ones:

View attachment 3488293

View attachment 3488298
View attachment 3488302

They were in an indoor brooder with non slip bedding for two and a half weeks. Then they were moved to an outdoor brooder with deep litter and access to a run on grass. I have oilcloth fabric under the deep litter, as I do in all my coops to protect the plywood floor. I'm not sure if that could be a problem? They only had a very small run for the first few days outside and then I changed it for a bigger one (1.5m x 3m). About a week ago I started letting them out into the main area with the adults, which is about 150m2 of grass within an electric fence. Their brooder is low to the ground and has a gently sloping ramp. They are outgrowing their brooder fast so I know I will need to do something about that soon.

They are eating 25% protein chick starter. The only other food they've ever had is scrambled egg and whatever they have foraged since moving out. When I noticed this yesterday, I added a chick multivitamin to their water. So far, they've had the same multivitamin just once before when they were about 2 weeks old.

1. My biggest question is, can this be Marek's disease? As far as I can tell from reading and looking though many other threads, these look like crooked toes and not curled toes as you would expect with Marek's. However, I have come across at least one thread where the toes were crooked and Marek's was suspected. The main reason I'm concerned is because I have an 11 month old cockerel who suddenly went lame two months ago. His thread is here.

2. If not Marek's, what can have caused this? Despite a huge amount of reading, I haven't come across anything very conclusive about crooked toes but maybe I've missed something?

3. And then importantly, what can I do for them?

I also have 15 other chicks who are almost 2 weeks old and all seem fine so far. None have any signs of leg, foot or toe issues. They have only briefly been on the grass so far. If it's something unavoidable and horrific like Marek's then there's nothing I can do. But if there's something I've done wrong with the older ones to cause it, I'd really like to make sure I prevent it happening with the little ones. And if there's anything I can change to help the 5 weeks olds at this stage, I'd really love to know.
some of your questions I have no knowledge or experience but I’ll answer what I can. I don’t have any info on if curled toes like yours could be Mareks but they look just like the curled toes that showed up in the Bresse I hatched. They were from shipped eggs. I have seen reports of curled toes showing up in American bresse as a genetic issue. My understanding is that it can also be caused by incubation or nutritional deficiencies in the patents or the chicks.

Like yours mine were incubated and then brooded with eggs/chicks from other breeds that did not have curled toes which seems to rule out incubation and feeding being the cause in both of our cases. Also like yours mine appeared fine at hatch although it’s possible I missed it. I gave them extra vitamins in form of poultry cel and livestock yeast supplement. They didn’t seem to have problems from the toes but also didn’t improve. I had 6 chicks in that batch and all but one were males which I processed. The one hen I kept in my layer flock, she kept her curled toe but it was pretty mild. I don’t know that I would have really noticed it if it weren’t for the really remarkable ones drawing attention to it.

Sorry I can’t be more informative on your other questions. Hopefully someone will chime in.

It seems to be the same toe on all of the affected chicks.
I replied on your rooster thread.
Likely if it's only showing up in the Bresse and it's the same toe or pattern on all of the affected chicks, the likelihood of this being a genetic defect (?) is great.
Crooked Toes.
https://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-muscular-nervous/crooked-toes/

There is a difference between "Crooked Toes" and "Curled Toes". What you have in your photos is Crooked Toes.

Your rooster thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/edit-urgent-mareks-or-injury.1570120/post-26795489

some of your questions I have no knowledge or experience but I’ll answer what I can. I don’t have any info on if curled toes like yours could be Mareks but they look just like the curled toes that showed up in the Bresse I hatched. They were from shipped eggs. I have seen reports of curled toes showing up in American bresse as a genetic issue. My understanding is that it can also be caused by incubation or nutritional deficiencies in the patents or the chicks.

Like yours mine were incubated and then brooded with eggs/chicks from other breeds that did not have curled toes which seems to rule out incubation and feeding being the cause in both of our cases. Also like yours mine appeared fine at hatch although it’s possible I missed it. I gave them extra vitamins in form of poultry cel and livestock yeast supplement. They didn’t seem to have problems from the toes but also didn’t improve. I had 6 chicks in that batch and all but one were males which I processed. The one hen I kept in my layer flock, she kept her curled toe but it was pretty mild. I don’t know that I would have really noticed it if it weren’t for the really remarkable ones drawing attention to it.

Sorry I can’t be more informative on your other questions. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Thanks so much, that's really interesting and definitely calms my panic a bit.

You're right, it would seem more like a genetic thing since it's only in the Bresse chicks (so far). It will be interesting to see what happens with the younger batch.

I replied on your rooster thread.
Likely if it's only showing up in the Bresse and it's the same toe or pattern on all of the affected chicks, the likelihood of this being a genetic defect (?) is great.
Crooked Toes.
https://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-muscular-nervous/crooked-toes/

There is a difference between "Crooked Toes" and "Curled Toes". What you have in your photos is Crooked Toes.

Your rooster thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/edit-urgent-mareks-or-injury.1570120/post-26795489
Thank you. Yes, I did wonder about them all being on the same toe. It is interesting and must mean something.

And yes, as I said in my post, I did notice that they're crooked toes and not curled under but I have read threads about chicks with crooked toes who gradually got worse and Marek's was the suspected cause. I do know that many people confuse the two, so maybe theirs were actually curled and they said the wrong thing.

Hopefully I'm just paranoid about the Marek's thing because of my other issue.

Do you think there's anything I can do about the crooked toes?

I've been thinking about the genetic thing and wondering why I never had issues with the parents. I wonder if inbreeding can cause genetic issues to show up over time.

I hatched the Bresse last year from eggs I bought from the one seller. I did breed from those birds I hatched so the parents are siblings. I had planned a careful breeding programme to avoid inbreeding issues and I have tracked exactly who both parents are of each individual chick. I thought I would get away with breeding the parents for one generation but I have no idea how inbred the previous generations were.

The other thing is that these eggs I hatched were technically pullet eggs. They had been laying for 2 or 3 months and the eggs were all a consistently good size so I decided to go ahead. I don't know if that could be the issue? The pullets were obviously a slight bit older when I hatched the second batch of chicks so it will be interesting to see if they turn out the same.

Back
Top Bottom