5 week old "runt"

herwitsend

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Virginia, Western Goochland
I have a flock of 5 week old chicks. They are all doing great, thriving, save one. The second to last to hatch (third day of the hatch) and I had to help it out. It is an Australorp that my daughter calls "Shiver". I kept it separate from the others for the first couple of days so it could gain some strength to hang with the big chicks. It did fine.

In the last 2 weeks, though as the others have really grown and feathered out, Shiver has stayed small and is still very downy. It looks like a 3 week old chick next to its 5 week old flock mates. Shiver is extremely spunky and seems to be doing well other than size. Should I remove it to feed it separately?

Here are some pics for reference.

Shiver standing, is the same height as the others when they are sitting!

Sometimes these chicks eventually catch up and do fine. i wouldn't separate it, myself, but I would probably separate it for a few minutes once or twice a day to give it a nutritional boost.

No, don't separate it, because chicks really need company to be happy. If the others aren't picking on little Shiver, then he/she will be just fine. I just recently had a batch of little bantam Cochins hatch, and there was one who seemed to be a miniature. The others grew quickly, while this chick (it was a little roo) stayed little for quite some time. He was healthy, so I just let him be, and now he's still not quite as big, but he's just fine.

I think your chick will be fine too,
Sharon

Thanks y'all. I love the internet.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom