50/50 girl/boy....REALLY????

I'm ordering from Ideal today and I'm hoping to get mostly pullets. I'm just starting out so it won't really do me any good to have a bunch of roos as I don't have any hens yet. lol

6 polish.. straight run.. looks like i have 3 roos (one crowed this morning for the first time).. so if i am right.. 50/50
15 EEs straight run.. so far looks like 50/50.. but they are just a week old... so i'll do a count later as soon as I am sure
15 buff orps.. pullets.. 100% pullets
15 silver laced wyandotte pullets.. 100% pullets

for the sexed birds.. so far all my pullets this year have been pullets.. no surprise roos in the mix
in the past i have gotten an odd roo here or there.. but this year has been good

i have a 43 chicks coming next week.. so i'll have to do an update later

Quote:
The OP asked about straight run. That's the percentage of accuracy for sexed as pullets chicks. Out of six "pullets" I still got a roo, so I would say my luck with straight run will be more cockerels than pullets. I'm about to find out--I just ordered 22 straight run barred rocks, buff orpingtons and speckled Sussex. All are dual purpose, so after selecting the best roo of each breed for breeding the hens, I will use the rest of the roos for meat, so it won't be too horrible to get a lot of roos.

I ordered a strait run of meat birds and received about 75% cockerel and 25% pullet. It was ok for us though because they were meat birds...

I ordered from McMurray this year. At 10 weeks all of my sexed pullets look 100% girl. There were 4 straight run chicks in that batch, and it looks like 2 are cockerals. I hatched out 48 chicks under my broodies last spring/summer and I ended up with 22 cockerals and 26 pullets so I guess my odds have been about 50/50.

Ordered from a hatchery once, straight run. I ordered 8, got 6 pullets, 2 roos.
Since hatching some at home, I actually have really good luck with getting mostly pullets. I would say about 70-80% have been pullets. Of course I probably jinxed myself now, lol.

mine i hatch seem to be about 50/50 or a little either way each time... now when i go buy me a nice, gorgeous silkie from the feed store, i've been 2 for 2 roos!!!
hit.gif
i have too many roos now, my solution? getting rid of the mean/not as friendly or pretty GLWxs that i have, LOL. Also, the one chick i have from my silkie so far is a BOY.
hmm.png

Quote:
And I bought sexed pullets and was hoping for 1 accidental roo and none. I'm not 100% sure but I think they're all pullets. Oh well. I should have ordered a couple of roos I guess.

Isn't that funny how it works out? Honestly, I think it is just a crap shoot. (Can I say that? I'm new and have no clue.)
big_smile.png

we have 16 chicks and we think that only 5 are males... it is kinda annoying actually, as we were hoping for at most 8 hens, and instead we have 11..... Its typical how when u want all females, a lot are males.... but when u yould rather a lot of males, you get lots of females....
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom