6 hens one sick chicken, are the eggs safe to eat?

kait1012

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
Hi, i have one sick hen that has been quarantined but not sure what is wrong with her yet. We're new chicken owners and aren't sure if the eggs are safe to eat? Can humans get sick from sick chicken eggs? Or get worms? yuck. Might be a dumb question but it isn't if I don't know. Lol. They are just over six months and have been laying for 3 weeks.

unless its an infections disease I think ur fine but im not an expert so research the disease and find out if it goes in through the jeans and gets into the egg so for now I recommend not eating the egg and treating the chicken

just in case, i would throw away the egg
smile.png

Thanks! I am still not sure whats wrong with her. I am calling the vet tomorrow. I guess I'll toss the eggs till I find out.

You can't get worms or parasites from eggs and cooking them would take care of anything else. I would eat the eggs.

Have you tried anything, like feeding her buttermilk (or yogurt) and cayenne flakes, pumpkin or adding apple cider vinegar to her water to help her feel better?

Last edited:
Yea, I've seperated her and have been giving her vitamins and electrolytes in her water, yogurt with hardboiled egg. She likes the egg and will eat it she doesnt like the yogurt so much but its just yoplait so maybe its not the right kind. She wont use her legs at all anymore and is constantly sleeping. Her eyes are bright and alert when you wake her up. I just checked her crop (I think) lol and it seems hard and bumpy & like a small beginner layers egg sized. But idk if it was the way she was laying as i had no one to assist me and pick her up. She was doing little peeps and noises and hasnt peeped today. I gave her a couple of drops of olive oil and a massage tonight so we'll see what happens in the morning if its a problem with her crop. I have given her a bath with epsom salt the last 4 days to keep her bum free of yuckyness. I bought preparation h for her bum because at first i thought it might be a prolapsed vent but it doesnt seem as irritated since shes been having baths. today when i gave her a bath she did a big watery yellowish poo that smelt so awful. I have been reading through these forums for hours trying to find one that sounds like what she has. We are first time chicken owners, I built a coop for my mom for christmas and got them all as week old chicks from the farm store. Theyre now 6 months old and some have been laying for about 3 weeks. I dont want to overwhelm her system with too much medling around. Idk if i should get antibiotics or treat antifungal. She is one of two longhorns and we have four sexlinks. All hens. The other longhorn which is the boss calls for her and yells at me everytime i go outside, so i think she'd be bummed if her buddy never came back. None have been vaccinated or wormed yet. I give them dumour layer mix, and scratch sometimes. They also get to go outside late in the day before bedtime to free range. Any help is appreciated.

How did your sick chicken make out? I have one that had crop (I think) a couple of weeks ago and who has just started laying again, but the shells are very thin and very white. The eggs seem fine when broken open, so I'm going to chance it for breakfast tomorrow morning.
I've added oyster shells, but I'm also going to get some buttermilk or yogurt for her.

Found this thread, wondering the same thing, two days ago our rooster started showing signs of illness - watery eyes and nose...the hens he is with seem fine, but are their eggs ok to eat? We are going to start him on Tylan and treat the whole flock to be safe, but like I said, just wondering if the eggs collected over the last week should be tossed. Thanks!!!

We didn't end up eating the eggs just to be safe. We finally figured out after bringing her to the vet was that she has dislocated her tendon in her knee. It ended up getting infected with salmonella and tylan cleared it right up. We couldn't find tylan anywhere and had to get it from the vet. I guess it is a common occurance in a young chicken for that injury to occur. She no longer has use of that leg but hops around fine. The only thing is we had to add an addition onto the coop because the other chickens would not stop picking on her once she was well enough to go back outside.

Back
Top Bottom