6 mo. old Cochin hen with raspy breathing, squeaky sneezes, and a weird comb

b0rpingt0n

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
My chicken has been sick for a little over a week and has been separated from the others for that time. She is 6 months old, and before she became sick, was probably about 6 lbs.
Her comb itself looks okay, but the base of it...like the skin around it..has crackled white stuff. ..they're like little plates of off-white scrust with crackles.
That means mites, right?
hmm.png

We gave her Worm-Out Gel (active ingredients are Oxfendazole and Praziquantel) yesterday, and some SCATT (Moxydectin) on her leg as well, because I thought that the white stuff meant she had like a yeast infection from mites or something.

I'm very worried and confused because she can't breathe very well.

I gave her Duramycin-10 for 4 days, my mom gave her Baytril for 5 days, and she didn't respond all that much. She tried Amtyl for 4 days (Amoxicillin trihydrate (150mg / g) and Tylosin tartrate (100 mg / g)) and there has been no response. I feel bad for switching antibiotics, but I don't know what to do. We don't have Tylan-50.
sad.png

I can hear her breathing in my backyard from inside.
hit.gif
My poor baby.
The rest are in a coop with pine shavings..not curly ones. I did a deep cleaning and dug out the first three inches of dirt under the shavings yesterday and found fibrous blue mold. Could that be it?! It looks pretty normal for soil with decomposing poo in it.
hmm.png

She has become sort of lethargic and when I pick her up, she wheezes and squeaks and her breaths become raspy and even more labored...so I try not to pick her up..but I wanted to look for mites (didn't see any at the base of her tail or on her legs). I was thinking northern fowl mites with some kind of respiratory infection, or gapeworm?!
I don't know. What do you guys think, and what should I do?!
Also another chicken of the same age pants a lot and has a few small black scabs on her comb. Do I separate her too?
Edit-her droppings are brown with white cecal stuff. I can post a pic if needed
hu.gif

Last edited:
Hi. Her poop sounds normal.
Any kind of mold build up in the coop is bad. I don't use deep litter method, but when done right, mold should not be an issue. Mold can cause a lot of respiratory issues. Now, that doesn't mean that mold is causing your hen's problems, but that's where my thoughts automatically go.
Do you have access to Tylan 50 - I know you said you don't have any, but can you get some??? If so, you'll want to get some 1/2 inch insulin needles from a pharmacy to inject it with... I just think Tylan 50 works wonders on most respiratory issues.
Of course, that's not going to help the mold situation, which would need to be addressed immediately. Because if a build up of mold remains, then no medicine is going to work, no matter how often or how much is administered.

I think I'm correct in saying that Tylosin is Tylan. If you have already tried that and Baytril didn't work, I'm thinking that she might have a respiratory fungal infection...if so, the antibiotics will make it worse. You will need to find antifungal medication. Some have had luck in using Oxine in a nebulizer when treating a fungal infection. Since you have already tried all those antibiotics and they haven't worked, there is something else going on that doesn't respond to antibiotics...good luck!

Hi. Her poop sounds normal.
Any kind of mold build up in the coop is bad. I don't use deep litter method, but when done right, mold should not be an issue. Mold can cause a lot of respiratory issues. Now, that doesn't mean that mold is causing your hen's problems, but that's where my thoughts automatically go.
Do you have access to Tylan 50 - I know you said you don't have any, but can you get some??? If so, you'll want to get some 1/2 inch insulin needles from a pharmacy to inject it with... I just think Tylan 50 works wonders on most respiratory issues.
Of course, that's not going to help the mold situation, which would need to be addressed immediately. Because if a build up of mold remains, then no medicine is going to work, no matter how often or how much is administered.
As I mentioned, I did a deep cleaning yesterday... the coop is sunny and in fresh air...it's not damp here at all. I am guessing it's chicken pee. Not sure what else to absorb that with, since I am definitely not gonna have them walking on wire... not sure what a long term mold control protocol might be.
I think I'm correct in saying that Tylosin is Tylan.

If you have already tried that and Baytril didn't work, I'm thinking that she might have a respiratory fungal infection...if so, the antibiotics will make it worse. You will need to find antifungal medication. Some have had luck in using Oxine in a nebulizer when treating a fungal infection. Since you have already tried all those antibiotics and they haven't worked, there is something else going on that doesn't respond to antibiotics...good luck!
I was thinking Aspergillosis maybe... :/ but.. you don't think mites are a possibility? Would a fungal infection cause the white flakes around her comb? (not on her comb, just the surrounding skin.)
Thanks
hugs.gif

Mine have the white around their combs and they don't have lice/mites...I think it is flaking skin from sunburn..but, that is just my humble opinion. If you can, I'd get her to the vet. It isn't responding to antibiotics.

There isn't an avian/exotic vet where I live. But thanks. I'll see what I can do about the anti-fungal meds ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom