6 out of 25 DOA. :( And a couple of questions ...

Four Acre Bliss

Songster
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Virginia
I didn't want to hog the other thread so I'm bringing this to its own thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am frustrated with McMurray's poor planning (and my own obliviousness to the federal holiday schedule) right now. They shipped my chicks SATURDAY (of a holiday weekend!). They arrived yesterday, TUESDAY. That's nearly four days! Two were (very) DOA and trampled/pecked all over, one died on the way home from the post office, and three more died when we got home.

That's 6 chicks out of a 25 chick order who froze to death or died of pneumonia. My friend ordered 6 fancy breed chicks with my order, 4 of them died (2 cochins and 2 polish). The other two were two of my Easter Eggers. One perked up after eating yogurt and sitting under the warmer, and looked like she was going to make it, then she just laid her head down and died in my hands. It was heartbreaking.

The remaining birds seem to be doing well. They are really adorable! They were a bit stressed out at first but have really calmed down a lot. They were quiet all night, which was nice.

QUESTIONS:

There's one chick who is a bit bigger than the others and a different color -- yellow with four dark stripes down her back and one dark stripe on her head. She is MEAN! We had to put her in chicken jail because she was bullying the single Buff Orpington packing peanut so badly. She pecks everyone! The girls were peeping like crazy, but quieted right down when I removed her -- she was stressing them out and getting them to peck each other. After her night in solitary, she seems to have calmed down and learned her lesson a little bit, so she's in with the crowd and things are pretty good. She pecks on the Buff a little bit here and there but a certain amount of that is probably to be expected ... it's nothing like it was yesterday when I thought she'd kill her!

Anyway, my questions are: Did I do the right thing in confining her or is there another, better method of discouraging the bullying? AND What kind of bird is she? She doesn't look like my Speckled Sussex OR my Easter Eggers. Bigger than average, yellow with dark stripes. Guesses? I'll try to get a pic ...

ETA: I've edited the title and some wording to be less inflammatory. I understand that I bear some responsibility for what happened, but honestly, this is my first time ordering chicks and I assumed McMurray knew what they were doing. Yes, I know what Ass- u- me means. If anyone has some perspective on the second half of my post, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost so many of your babies
sad.png
I would have been heart broken to see that. Shipping in cold climates in the winter is dangerous for them. I'm just wondering why you're mad at McMurray's? If they shipped on Saturday, they probabably expected you to get them on Monday...2 days, which is normal. I didn't see the other thread that you were talking about so I probably don't have all the facts.

I wish the best for the rest of your chicks...I hope they strong and healthy. Just a side-note...watch them eat their crumbles. If they pick them up and drop them, they might be a little bit too big. I put the crumbles in my Magic Bullet (like a mini blender) to crush them up smaller for the babies. They eat a lot more that way and get their strength faster.

Thanks for the tip. The reason I'm upset with McMurray's is that I assume they knew it was a holiday weekend and that the chicks would sit somewhere all day on Monday ... therefore shipping Sunday (as I was told is the norm) would have made a big difference to their well-being. I guess they can't control when they hatched, though. And I deserve some responsibility too -- I ordered the first "available" shipping date for what I wanted and didn't think of it being a holiday weekend. So plenty of blame to go around, I guess ... but they ship birds for a living so you'd think they'd know to take holidays into account, you know?

Any thoughts on the questions I posted?

Quote:
Monday was a holiday. There was no mail. Surely, the hatchery knew that.

i will post this here also. they did know. two operators distinctly told me they would ship SUNDAY instead of Saturday.

instead, they shipped Saturday and put a TON of grow gel in. i had two DOA and two die Tuesday. they ALL had serious pasty butt.

i do like MM, and i have had nice birds from them, but i am reporting it today and letting them know that this seriously disappoints me.

Quote:

thats why people shouldnt count on another person to do the thinking. do it yourself, ask about it, then make YOUR own decision on if you want to chance it in this weather...

sorry they came in such bad shape,, is awful that MM didnt do "the math"
sad.png

Quote:

MY thought's exactly. Those poor babies!! What a way to go, shoved in a dark box. Being pecked, etc!

Yeah, McMurray should definitely have shipped Sunday like they said at first.

As for your other questions, I don't have an answer for you. I'm new to the chicken thing and I haven't had any problems with mean "pickers" yet. Sounds like solitary confinement was probably a good idea though, and I would have done that myself. She was probably stressed but still you have to protect the others from her.

Back
Top Bottom