6 week old blue orpington - roo or pullet?

Hi BYC! Got my first little chicks at the end of June and I am HOOKED. Can't tell you how many hours I've spent lurking on this site... Well, this is my first post and I hope you all can help me figure out if I've got a boy or girl here. Every week I think one or the other; last week I thought "boy" but now I'm not so sure. I thought the comb and wattles were supposed to shoot up and turn bright red by now? The flockmates are all different breeds I picked up from Just Struttin Farms, so I don't have another orp to compare this guy with. Personality-wise, s/he is the dufus of the bunch. Cannonballs the poultry pile when it's time to sleep. Gallops around the run. By far the most awkwardly uncoordinated of them. Not aggressive, but calmly stands his/her ground when challenged or is confronted with something new (like a hummingbird -- the rest of them freaked out! :lol: ). Meet "Hodor": What do y'all think?
At the moment nothing says rooster, but with it not even 2 months old, that could change.
Did this end up being a pullet? I have some 6 week old blue orps and i have one who looks just like this. Looks like a pullet, but very slow feathering. I am keeping my fingers crossed! :)

I'm curious too... as I have a Blue Orp that looks similar to this and wonder if yours turned out to be a hen or a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom