6 week old Buff Brahma still does not have all it's feathers

ZoomuKeeper

Songster
Jul 25, 2018
Near Live Oak Florida
My 6 week old Buff Brahma still does not have all it's feathers. The rest of the Brahmas same age are fully feathered. They will be 7 weeks Saturday. The chick's back is still all fluff and no tail feathers yet. I bought them from tractor supply when they were days old and supposedly they are pullets. Could this baby be a roo? Or just a late bloomer. The other chicks pick on the animal to the point of pecking bloody holes into it. I have the baby in my infirmary now until the baby heals.

I often found that male chicks, especially the Brama's, do not feather out on their backs as quickly as the females do. It's possible you have a boy. Is the comb getting red?

You should get some anti pick lotion such as Rooster Booster Anti Pick to put on his back. You can find it at most feed supply stores. It will help heal the sores and it tastes so nasty that the other chicks won't bother it. ;)

My 6 week old Buff Brahma still does not have all it's feathers. The rest of the Brahmas same age are fully feathered. They will be 7 weeks Saturday. The chick's back is still all fluff and no tail feathers yet. I bought them from tractor supply when they were days old and supposedly they are pullets. Could this baby be a roo? Or just a late bloomer. The other chicks pick on the animal to the point of pecking bloody holes into it. I have the baby in my infirmary now until the baby heals.
Can you post some photos of the chick?
How much space was in the brooder?
Sounds like he may have been picked on to the point he was not eating/drinking well - or that's a possibility why there is a developmental delay.
What do you feed?
Hopefully your baby infirmary is set up where he and the other chicks can see one another, this will make re-integration (hopefully) go a bit more smoothly.
How are you treating the wounds that the others made?

The baby eats and drinks like a champ and is very lively but they all seem to have to take a peck at the baby. I had cleaned the wounds a few times a day with soap and water and pat it dry. The baby is really good about it. I also used food grade peroxide. I am a vet tech and this is what we always used. Not that store bought crap full of stabilizers. The chick is healing really well. The 4 babies live in an 8 ft x 10 ft hen house and and their play yard is 10ft x 10ft. my big girls are on the other side of them I want them all use to each other. My infirmary is not in the same area. I do not house sick and injured animals together with healthy ones. I do however have a run where I put new chicks along side the juvies so they see and get use to each other

I once had an EE that didn't fully feather our until she was about 3 months old. It happens. It's one of those things whereby if you had 100 birds you wouldn't even notice but with a few it stands out.

Back
Top Bottom