6-week-old chick afraid of sunset?

Quailberries

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Southern WI
My chicks have been out in the coop since Wednesday and everything has been running incredibly smoothly... until it’s time to go to bed. On 3 separate nights now my RIR pullet has made distressed peeps during sunset, which is the time we’ve chosen to close the coop door from the run.

She paces back and forth in the run and sometimes goes into the coop for short periods to only jump out and start pacing again. I don’t think she’s cold, as all the other chicks seem very content and there’s a heater in the coop. It’s actually colder during the morning hours when we let them out and they all seem very content then.

I don’t think she’s scared of the dark either- there was
never any artifical lighting in the brooder and we didn’t have a problem flipping switches when she was indoors.

Right now we’ve been getting by just by hauling them all into the coop one at a time and closing them in. She still chirps but it dies down after a few minutes and she sleeps with the rest of them.

Is it possible she might just want the others to go up with her during the night? They all recognize the coop as safe, but don’t seem to have the whole nighttime routine thing down pat yet. This pullet is most likely the highest in the pecking order.

Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom