6 week old chick sick - Cocci or Heat stroke?

eje99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Hi All,
I have 8 chicks, all about 6 weeks old. We also have 5 older birds, about 10 weeks old, and 3 1.5 year old hens. They do free range, and sleep in my garage at night. (Due to a bear attack, the coop is being re-built!) Several days ago we had a little heat wave, and I noticed the girls were suffering in the heat - they were perched and panting, with their wings stretched out from their bodies. All the others are fine, but two days ago one little Sicilian Buttercup started wandering off on her own - when the 7 came in for the night, she couldnt be found. We didnt think much of it, as she didnt seem sick, and we did find her. The next day, we noticed she was separated from the rest of the flock, she was becoming lethargic, and her crop seemed empty. We put her in a separate brooder, and tried to give her electrolytes. She won't eat or drink - going on 3 days now. We are force-feeder her small amounts of electrolyte water with a syringe. She has pooped - it was runny, with no signs of blood. We've checked for mites, and did not find any. Her vent looks normal. We currently have in her the house so we can keep a close eye on her. I'm not sure if I should just be treating her for heat stroke, or for cocci. I do have Corid, and we gave her one dose, but I don't want to treat her with it if not necessary and if it may cause further harm.

Here's a picture of her - very weak, wings dropped, eyes closed most of the time.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
oh my I wish I could help I have no clue about sickness in chickens
1f61e.png
1f631.png
1f616.png

**UPDATE**
Unfortunately, she did't make it through the night. At this point, I'm not sure if I should treat the rest of the flock with Corid, just in case.
Any thoughts?

At their age it certainly wouldn't hurt to treat them with Corid. That is the most common illness in younger chicks. Dehydration and heat definitely could have been the problem or added to it. Symptoms are hunching or puffing up (like her picture,) runny poops with mucus or blood, not eating, and lethargic or sleepy behavior.

It's heartbreaking! It's been a rough spring . . . in May I lost 7 of my 10 laying hens to bear attacks. That's why the remaining 3 and all my new babies have been living in the garage. The coop has been rebuilt, but it's hard trying to re-train them to live in the coop again. They seem to prefer the garage. Now to loose one of the babies is so sad. I just want to take care of the rest as best as I possibly can!

Back
Top Bottom