6 week old chicks do they need meds? worming?

chickypets

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Hi
I am new to this. Got some fertile eggs for my broody hen and now have two lovely chicks but I cant find info anywhere on when to start worming them etc. I have just changed them to pullet growth food - but thats all I have done. Is there any medicating things I should know?? Hopefully I haven't missed the time frame for anything.

thanks

I've never wormed or medicated any of my chickens. I do let them range during the day, so that could help their immunity. Lots of other people have posted about medicating schedules so I'd search the forum.

I wouldn't start worming the chickens until they were at least 6 months or older. Until they are outside and foraging off the ground then there isn't a good way for the chicks to get worms. Then worm at least twice a year with Wazine followed up 2 weeks later with Ivermectin if needed. You can eat the eggs when using the Wazine, but you'll need to toss or feed the eggs back to the chickens for 2 weeks when using Ivermectin. I scramble the eggs. I would never feed the chickens raw eggs.

Quote:
If those chicks are only 6 weeks old they should still be on chick starter. I don't worm either.

I am new to chickens in the last year, but most experts recommend valbazen for worms, since it kills all worms that chickens get including tapeworm. 1/2 ml. for a full size grown chicken and 1/4 ml. for a bantie, followed by a second dose in 10 days, then toss your eggs for 24 days (do not feed back to chicks. Young chicks like yours do not need worming until they are grown (6-7months.)

OMG, who are all these experts??? These chicks are 6 weeks old and I don't believe they need to wormed yet. How do you all ever get any eggs to eat, what with worming & dosing with ivermectin & Sevin constantly?? Just don't get it, but to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom