I have made some before, though it was years ago. What I remember was that you want field corn and out here, that means the corn cob is red, not white like eating corn. The red is what give it its color.
big_smile.png
Thats how we picked it out anyway. Sure it doesnt matter though.

Keep a camera handy, I'd like to see what your doing, making, can't even remotely comprehend what your doing.
There are a lot of things in our lives that we make and some of them leave us a lot to desire.
Example: Saurcraut (spelling), hulcorn (hominy) and that first bite of tripe, uncooked or some eat it cooked. I have also heard people making watermellon rhine jelly (?).
So please leave messages to what its like!

cool let us know how it turns out! you can also make jelly out of purple hull pea hulls,it is supposed to taste like mathaw. one that my family likes is rose petal! A friend of mine taught me how to make it before she passed away with breast cancer. So please let us know how it turns out and give us the recipe...that sounds so fun!
wee.gif

Quote:
I have not heard of that one, however my favorite flavors I discovered in Germany, this little old lady had the best wine and liquor jelly. Her best flavor in my opinion was rose water and peach liquor. Needless to say I brought home a case.
Please share your Rose petal recipe if you would.

I like the thought of those jellies, must boil the alcohol off in cooking, either that or it was "mothers little helper"- ha ha.

I make honey from clovers and rose petals. That is yummy, you would honestly never be able to tell the diff. I do, only because real honey has a taste to it, sorta like the wax flavor. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll gladly post it on this site if you so desire. I also have a few wine recipes.

Now the cob jelly sounds different. I tell ya, every summer, I buy corn to blanch and freeze into single serving size baggies. Often I am the only one that uses it and it always comes out of the freezer crisp and nice. So I understand what you mean by fresh tasting.

I just made Blackberry jam yesterday, its funny that great minds think alike as far as preserves. What I do is pick berries and collect them through the summer and fall, put them in the freezer and in the spring I make this next winters bounty. Usually when berries are ripe, I have pickles, veggies or it looks like Lizzy Borden lived here (tomatoes) LOL.
Thanks for the share!

Another odd one that is done out here is prickly pear cactus jelly. It is made with the flower buds? of prickly pear cactus plants.
big_smile.png
Its pretty darn good too, again, something I havent made in years!!
Here is a good website for it.
http://www.succulent-plant.com/crecipe.html

Here are two recipes I found for cactus jelly
and this one website describes the "flower bud" I am talking about as a pear or called FRUIT; the cactus "leaves: are called PADS so the second recipe would actually be for the Pads I believe.

Prickly Pear Jelly
This recipe may sometimes be sticky depending on the maturity of the cactus.

4 cups cactus juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 pkg. powdered pectin
6 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

Use kitchen tongs to gather cactus fruit. Select ripe fruits and a few green fruits. Wash fruits with hand spray, place in large pan with water to almost cover. Cook for 10 minutes. Mash with potato masher and cook 10 minutes longer. Strain through cloth as for any other juice for jelly (see page 1).

Place cactus juice, lemon juice and pectin in large pan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, and add sugar and salt all at once. Bring to a boil 3 minutes until gel stage is reached. Pour into sterile jars, leaving 1/8" headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids and rings. Water bath 5 minutes.

Cactus Jelly
Remove spines from prickly pear cactus fruit, wash, cut in quarters, and put in pan, adding enough water to nearly cover. Cook slowly until fruit is very soft and almost a pulp. Strain through jelly bag moistened first with hot water. Let drain overnight or 12 hours (see page 1).

Heat juice quickly to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove foam and measure liquid. Add 3/4 to 1 cup sugar for each cup of juice, and 1 tablespoon lemon or orange juice. Cook until gel stage is reached. Pour into sterile jars, leaving 1/8" headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids and rings. Water bath 5 minutes.

Giggle, now where would I find a prickly pear cactus? Hmmm I have never even seen a real cactus unless your talking christmas cactus or one of those tiny ones in the plant pots that everyone has to try and gets stabbed generously by them! Thanks tho, I love to hear about all recipes. I will have to try the corn cob jelly, an old timer didn't believe me when I said I read about you and saw pictures! lol!
Its all great and something to talk about! TY again!

Back
Top Bottom