6mo old pullet's eye is swollen shut

laelaps90

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
We have her isolated from the flock inside so she is safe from the heat and other hens. She has shown no other symptoms - no eye bubbles, sneezing, wheezing, etc. Still eating a little and drinking, temp is high at 108.1. None of our other hens are showing any symptoms. I have applied terramycin ointment, and have access to Tylan 50 and Duramycin. Any advice on what next steps to take, and what could be wrong with our girl is greatly appreciated!

Tweezers can be used with great care.
Thank you so much for your advice. We were able to get the outer crust completely off and I got most of the pus out. I was afraid to pull too much on what was left as it still felt very attached, but we will repeat tomorrow.
Pardon gross pictures.

Attachments

• 20230821_190406.jpg
    20230821_190406.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230821_191104.jpg
    20230821_191104.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 12
The eye needs to be flushed out, press out the pus and apply the Terramycin 2-3 times a day.
Pus will not dry up on its own.

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
It will treat symptoms of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. It's still important to clean and remove the pus from the eye even if you administer and antibiotic.
Thank you very much, I will start her on the Tylan50

We have her isolated from the flock inside so she is safe from the heat and other hens. She has shown no other symptoms - no eye bubbles, sneezing, wheezing, etc. Still eating a little and drinking, temp is high at 108.1. None of our other hens are showing any symptoms. I have applied terramycin ointment, and have access to Tylan 50 and Duramycin. Any advice on what next steps to take, and what could be wrong with our girl is greatly appreciated!
The eye needs to be flushed out, press out the pus and apply the Terramycin 2-3 times a day.
Pus will not dry up on its own.

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
It will treat symptoms of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. It's still important to clean and remove the pus from the eye even if you administer and antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom